EPA QRP Club Polar Bear Moonlight Madness Event!

EPA QRP Club Polar Bear Moonlight Madness Event!

Edward R. Breneiser-2
Full Moon Names: Harvest, Hunter, Wolf and . Sturgeon?
By Joe Rao <mailto:[hidden email]>
Special to SPACE.com
posted: 07:00 am ET
While the Harvest Moon rings a bell in most heads, some of the other
monthly lunar names are nowhere near as well known. Think pink. And
worm, and strawberries and wolves. Or how about Sturgeon?
Full Moon names in the United States date back primarily to Native
Americans who lived in what is now the northern and eastern United
States. Those tribes of a few hundred years ago kept track of the
seasons by giving distinctive names to each recurring full Moon. Their
names were applied to the entire month in which each occurred. There
were some variations in the Moon names, but in general the same ones
were current throughout the Algonquin tribes from New England and
westward to Lake Superior. European settlers followed their own customs
and created some of their own names. Since the lunar ("synodic") month
is roughly 29.5 days in length on average, the dates of the full Moon
shift from year to year.

. Full Snow Moon - February Since the heaviest snow usually falls during
this month, native tribes of the north and east most often called
February's full Moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to
this Moon as the Full Hunger Moon, since harsh weather conditions in
their areas made hunting very difficult.
EPA QRP Club Polar Bear Moonlight Madness Event - February 22nd, 2005
Rain Date --  2/23/2005
Time------- estimated times 6pm to 9pm   (subject to change)
A hardy bunch of EPA QRP members will brave the winter cold and head up
to Pulpit Rock, PA on the AT on 2/22. Some will drive up and others will
hike the two-mile trail straight up the mountain in the dark! Yes, a few
of us will hike by the light of the Snow Moon. We will set up our radio
gear and operate from the AT during a full moon in the dead of winter.
If you make a contact with any of us (Polar Bear Operators), you can
receive a beautiful award from us. Weather report for our journey is
partly cloudy with temps in the 20s.  On top of a mountain even worse!
We'll do the hard part, but we need you to contact us! More to come
later. 72, Ed, WA3WSJ Polar Bear Operator