ESD and Storms

Dave G.
Just to add to the knowledge base...
One misconception is that, if  was no storm, there was
no lightning...

At one point in my career I had the fortune to do some
work at NASA, and came across a nice piece of
research concerning Clear Air Lightning.

Lightning can and does occur on perfectly clear days. At
MSFC (Huntsville,AL) there have been recorded in
excess of 1000 CAL strikes in one day. !!

Caveat !!

Re: ESD and Storms

Bob -  W5BIG
During a very light rain, with no accompanying lighting, there can be static
charge build up on an antenna.
I've seen sparks about 1/4 inch across a ground switch that wasn't quite
closed.
Also, wind alone can build up a static charge.
Rolling or unrolling coax can generate a static charge. I experienced damage
once with only a six foot length of coax.

Always short a open transmission line before connecting it to your rig.

73/ Bob - W5BIG

> One misconception is that, if  was no storm, there was
> no lightning...
>
> At one point in my career I had the fortune to do some
> work at NASA, and came across a nice piece of
> research concerning Clear Air Lightning.
>
> Lightning can and does occur on perfectly clear days. At
> MSFC (Huntsville,AL) there have been recorded in
> excess of 1000 CAL strikes in one day. !!
>
> Caveat !!

Re: ESD and Storms

Alan Fryer-2
One of the worst shocks I ever got was off  the feedline on a big cubical
quad in a blizzard.  Made me forever respect static build up on antennas....

Alan, N3BJ