Elecraft Amps

Re: Elecraft Amps

W7GJ, Lance
On 2/12/2010 4:49 PM, Larry K1UO wrote:

> Larry K1UO wrote:
>>
>> Whats really needed in a "new" amplifier would be a nice 6 Meter Solid
>> State amp from Elecraft to match up with the K3.  Maybe something in the
>> 500-800 watt range.
>>

> Let me clarify...A 6M amp only... not as p/o the existing 160-6 amp
> selections currently available.   Seems like its a niche that needs to be
> filled ..what with all the ease of getting on 6M nowdays.      Also .... M2
> does not have a 6M production amp at this time.

Hello Larry,

If you are interested in a 6m-only amp, I have heard M2 prototypes are on the air
(I talked to one last month) and the first production run is expected out next
month.  They have real 1kw CW/JT65 output, and are in a very small package,
designed with portability and light weight.  I understand that they will require a
separate 48 VDC power supply, but that they will be offering a very compact and
lightweight one if you do not have one already (there have been numerous 3kw 48
VDC switching supplies available on EBAY for under $30).  You will have to contact
M2 directly for more information, since their website often lags several months
behind what is actually being offered.

I agree that 800-1000w is an excellent design point for a compact solid state amp.
  10 dB seems to be enough power gain to justify the hassle and expense of using
an amp, but far enough up the curve to minimize the tradeoffs by not using a big
full legal limit amp.  In addition, that power level makes a very significant
difference if you are interested in weak signal work on 6m.  With a good yagi and
that kind of power, you are in very good position to operate 6m EME for example -
and NOT just complete with the larger stations.

It would have been nice to see Elecraft come out with a 160 - 6m amp in that
range, but since they have openly indicated no current intentions for such a
product, I think we are forced toward the M2 single band amp approach if we want
that kind of power on 6m.  The new M2 amp should really result in a huge help to
6m DXpeditions, and comes at a time in the solar cycle when 6m EME conditions are
most favorable.  I know I will be using one of the new M2 1kw amps with my K3 on
my next 6m EME DXpedition ;-)  As my son-in-law K5SKI says, "Go big or go home."

GL and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX)
P.O. Box 73

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME email!

Re: Elecraft Amps

-.-.  --.-N3TU -.-.  --.-
Gary,

I live in a antenna restrictive neighborhood and I have to hide my three antennas. I can't get much height and at the most 22 feet. I made a contact to Australia on 400 watts and I couldn't get over the noise. When I increased my power to 1500 watts, I was giving them a 5/5. I only run the amp late at night when everyone's asleep and I normally run 100 watts during the daytime. When I bought my home I wasn't a ham at the time so I wasn't worried about antenna restrictions. But I have adapted and can talk all over the world now.

Another factor I've noticed is noise over here especially the static crashes on 75 meters.

I also noticed that no one will come back to me unless I crank up the power. There are too many people running 1500 watts  + and can't get a word in edge wise or be head in between transmissions. 100 watts over here is like using a walkie talkie at least for me.

Now, when I was talking to that Australia station, she was running 400 watts and I was running 1500 watts. We were both giving each other the same signal strength of a 5/5. You can only do so much with a stealth antenna before you compensate with more power.

In the area where I live, we all have a very high noise level. There is a lot of industry around us. There are times I have to tell the station to increase power so I can understand them. All kind of crazy stuff going on here. I get a lot of neighborhood noise from the street lamps and transformers. I also hear a lot of noise from all the industries around here.

Re: Elecraft Amps

Bill Coleman-2

On Feb 23, 2010, at 1:47 AM, -.-. --.-N3TU -.-. --.- wrote:

> In the area where I live, we all have a very high noise level. There is a
> lot of industry around us. There are times I have to tell the station to
> increase power so I can understand them. All kind of crazy stuff going on
> here. I get a lot of neighborhood noise from the street lamps and
> transformers. I also hear a lot of noise from all the industries around
> here.

If you can find a place to hide it, consider receiving antennas such as a K9AY, flag or pennant. They are directional receiving antennas that will reduce the percentage of noise and make things more readable.

I have a half-sized K9AY under a small tree, and it works pretty well on 80m and 40m.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
           -- Wilbur Wright, 1901