Elecraft CW Net Report for January 10, 2005

Elecraft CW Net Report for January 10, 2005

Kevin Rock
Hello Folks,
    Another evening on the air.  Some folks were taking a break from the
RTTY contest and others from the NA QSO party.  Thanks for stopping by.
The KX1s seem to have something special going for them once again.  From
Hawaii to Virginia to California to Alaska those rigs are getting into ECN
very well.  I don't know what it is about them but I can pick them out of
the noise floor consistently.  There is something about their tone which
makes them easy to copy.  But I have little experience so do not have the
words to figure out what is happening.  Maybe one of you can tell me why I
can copy Ray with an S2 signal from across the continent so well.

On 20 meters at 14050 kHz:
AL7N - Ed - AK - nonElecraft
N0SS - Tom - MO - K2 - 008         QNI #60
K1EV - Bill - CT - K2 - 2152
W0CZ - Ken - ND - K2 - 1031
N4GE - Jerry - TN - K2 - 1054
KL7CW - Rick - AK - KX1 - 798
N7CQR - Dan - OR - ??? - 106   Do you have a KX1 perchance?  The # does
not fit your listed rigs.
W0SZ - Steve - IA - K2 - 88
NK6A - Don - CA - KX1 - 656
WA5ZNU - Leigh - CA - K2 - 3121
K2HYD - Ray - VA - KX1 - 608
K5JAZ - Jim - LA - K2 - 2535

During the hiatus between nets I made myself dinner since Pat was off at
some soiree.  Then for some reason I got on the air and started at 0150z.
Tom, ever present on the bands, told me I was an hour early.  Better late
than never!  But I took his advice and went back to reading about mutexs
and semaphores.  Pesky threads are worse than on Anne McCaffrey's Pern!  I
shall prevail however.  Multithreaded apps allow me to accomplish tasks
more easily.  But I digress.

On 40 meters at 7045 kHz:
N0SS - Tom - MO - K2 - 008
AB7R - Greg - WA - K2 - 3718
AH6RE - Curt - HI - KX1 - 464      Did you try to check in on ECN/20?
K1EV - Bill - CT - K2 - 2152

40 meters was very tough this evening.  I heard three stations and asked
Tom for help on one of them.  He also picked up K1EV but I could not hear
Tom well enough to copy any of the other stations he copied.  Thus this
list is incomplete.

As ever, any errors on the lists are mine.  They will be corrected upon
receipt of the information.

Thanks for speeding up Tom.  There were times when that was the best
method to counteract the deep QSB and nasty QRN.  I was losing far too
much when you sent slowly due to the conditions.  Burst mode worked very
well.  Thanks for your help on ECN/40!!

73,
    Kevin.  KD5ONS  (Net Control Operator 5th Class)

Fwd: Elecraft CW Net Report for January 10, 2005

Kevin Rock
ADDENDUM ANNOUNCEMENT:

Corrections too.  Just in from Tom.

On 40:
AH6RE   Curt        HI      Running 100W  but has a KX1 464
N9IV    Russ - IN - KX1 - 742
VE3XL - Ric - ON - K1??? - 968   Is your K1 still on the bench Ric?

Thanks to you all.  One day we need to meet somewhere and talk face to
face :)
    Kevin.  (Lowly Net Op.)