Elecraft K2 #4355 is just about finished.

Elecraft K2 #4355 is just about finished.

Hisashi T Fujinaka
Well, I didn't do much else over the long weekend. Ran the wood chipper
this afternoon and so I'm too tired to mount the speaker. I'll have to
find my wirestrippers and who needs to do that at 10PM?

Other than that, it went together pretty easily.

Now, what order do I put together the SSB, 60M kit, and KPA100?

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email]

Re: Elecraft K2 #4355 is just about finished.

Brian Mury-3
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 22:44, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> Now, what order do I put together the SSB, 60M kit, and KPA100?

I'm still trying to decide in which order to build the SSB and the
KPA100. I figure I should do the KPA100 first, because 15W isn't much on
SSB, but then I also figure I could build the SSB first and use it for
PSK31... I'll probably end up doing the SSB  first just because it'll
take less time.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: Elecraft K2 #4355 is just about finished.

Don Brown-4
Hi

It really does not matter with one exception The KPA100 and 60M option require removal of the heat sink on the K2. This is not something you want to do many times because of the possibility of damage to the thermal pads or loss of the hardware stack on the output transistors. I would suggest removing the bottom cover and heat sink once and installing all of the connectors for the KPA100, SSB and the 60M at the same time then you can install the modules when ever you want without requiring the removal of the heat sink. I always install all of the connectors for the KPA100 60M SSB and noise blanker when building a K2 so it is ready for any option with a minimum of disassembly. The connectors come in the option kits so you can fish them out of the packages and install them at the same time you are building the RF board if you already have the options. If you do not have the options yet you can order the connector kit from Elecraft for a few dollars and install them so you are ready for any of the options. If you are going to order the connectors separately then don't forget to order the standoffs and hardware also or you may need to disassemble the heat sink to install the hardware.

Don Brown

KD5NDB
  On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 22:44, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
  > Now, what order do I put together the SSB, 60M kit, and KPA100?

  I'm still trying to decide in which order to build the SSB and the
  KPA100. I figure I should do the KPA100 first, because 15W isn't much on
  SSB, but then I also figure I could build the SSB first and use it for
  PSK31... I'll probably end up doing the SSB  first just because it'll
  take less time.

  --
  73, Brian
  VE7NGR

  Post to: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
  Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com<http://www.elecraft.com/>

Re: Elecraft K2 #4355 is just about finished.

Brian,

My recommendation is to build the SSB option first.
After the SSB option is installed, you can do all the filter alignments and
be finished with it so you can enjoy the receiver while building the KPA100.

The options that impact the base K2 alignment are the KSB2, K160RX and the
K60XV - so if you have these options, build and install them and then do a
complete alignment.  The other options don't require re-alignment of the
base only the adjustments to the new option itself.

> On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 22:44, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> > Now, what order do I put together the SSB, 60M kit, and KPA100?
>
> I'm still trying to decide in which order to build the SSB and the
> KPA100. I figure I should do the KPA100 first, because 15W isn't much on
> SSB, but then I also figure I could build the SSB first and use it for
> PSK31... I'll probably end up doing the SSB  first just because it'll
> take less time.

RE: Elecraft K2 #4355 is just about finished.

Robert McGwier
The latest manual says to do exactly that with the exception of the 60 meter
module which
I think was not yet shipping when the 4200+ manuals were printed.

Bob
N4HY