Elecraft email List Official Guidelines 2012

Elecraft email List Official Guidelines 2012

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Elecraft eMail LIST GUIDELINES 2012  (Its almost here!)

For those of you who are new to the list, (and for those of us who have
rapidly failing memories.. ;-), here is a quick list of things to
remember when posting to this list. Please save this for future reference.

The most important thing to remember is that this is only a hobby -
Let's have fun! The PRIMARY purposes of this list are to provide a forum
for discussing Elecraft products, share mods, new ideas, feedback to
Elecraft, share troubleshooting ideas etc.

The Elecraft email list server (reflector) is provided to further the
discussion of Elecraft products and related items. It serves as a forum
for the discussion of both technical and operating topics including
product features, construction and debug problems, sharing your
enthusiasm and impressions from using our products and more general ham
radio related topics of interest to our customers.

1. YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED to the [Elecraft] list TO POST to it. (This is
done to stop advertising spammers from hitting the list.) Any postings
sent to [hidden email] by addresses different from the exact
ones it shows as subscribers will be rejected.

This includes alias (forwarded) addresses like [hidden email]. If you
use an alias to subscribe you must have it as your from: and return
address too. Subscribing with [hidden email] from your physical address
of [hidden email] will allow you to receive postings, but your postings to
the list will be rejected if their from: and reply to: address does not
match your subscribe address..

to change your list preferences. To unsubscribe or to change your list
preferences (digest, no mail on/off etc.), scroll to the bottom of the
page and log in with your subscribed email address and the password that
was sent to you by email when you subscribed (and sent to you each month).

2. If you want to provide an attachment, .JPG picture or other large
file for use on the list, first post it to your personal web
page and then post a link to its address in an email to the list. The
list strips all attachments to prevent viruses from propagating and to
keep the archives at a reasonable size.

3. Please keep the amount of copied text from previous posts to an
-ABSOLUTE MINIMUM- in your replies.

Always delete -everything-  from the prior
post except what is necessary to keep your reply in context. Most copied
messages can be reduced to one or two sentences to retain context.
Remember to delete the email list footer from the previous post and
especially avoid copying a long posting and adding 'Me Too!' or
something similar. As the number of users on this list grows we need to
work to minimize information overload... If a reply is -not- of interest
to the list, just reply directly to the posting party.

4. EMAIL OVERLOAD:
If you are overloaded by the volume of individual messages on the list,
You can view the daily Elecraft list messages for each month in web
format at: http://www.elecraft.com/elist.html . These archives are
updated hourly and list postings by subject. (the Nabble archive looks
very useful.) Just click on the ones you are interested in to read.

You can also set your Elecraft list email preferences to 'no mail'
delivery, which still allows you to post to the list when reading via
the digest.

You can also change your subscription to the DIGEST version, which sends
you a single compilation each day.

To change your email list options or to subscribe / unsubscribe, go to:
Scroll to the bottom of the page to log into your preferences page and
set your mail options to 'no mail'.

4a. Please make an effort to keep list volume under control by resisting
the urge to post a comment on every long discussion thread (CW,
Soldering etc.) With close to 6,500 list subscribers volume can quickly
get out of control if everyone feels the need to comment. While we do
not overly restrict the subject matter on this list, please remember
that its primary focus is on Elecraft products, and their use. Many
people rely on it for pointers on building and troubleshooting their
kits. Other ham Radio topics are OK, but please keep the
posts on non-Elecraft topics under control.

4b. *** When emailing about a specific rig or option, please add the
rig/option name(s) to the first part of your email subject line. (K1,
K2, K3, KX1 etc.) This will be a huge help for those experiencing email
overload and will allow automatic filtering based on subject line.

Examples: "Subject: [K3] Filter Options"
            "Subject: [KX1] How to use ped portable?"
            "Subject: [XG2] Wow! Its a big help.

5. *** IMPORTANT - PLEASE KEEP ALL POSTINGS CORDIAL.

Restrain the urge to email someone admonishing them about a posting.
The last thing we want to do is to scare anyone off the list. Overly
aggressive postings and negative comments about other posters only serve
to scare away new potential list members.

Waiting over night before hitting 'send' really helps to put things in
perspective.. ;-)

If you have a complaint about someone or a thread please email it
directly to me ( [hidden email] ) and I'll address it.

5a. Please do not post publicly or privately asking people to stop a
particular thread, no matter how long, off topic or repetitive it gets.
Email me instead.
I will step in when I feel it is necessary to end a thread.
([hidden email])

5a1. Please exercise restraint in posting when a thread is getting
heavily covered. 15-20 posts on one topic in a day is excessive. Please
do not vote yay/nay or with 'me too' postings.

5b. Please do not post any direct attacks or snide comments directed at
a list member. Enthusiastic arguments are encouraged, but please keep
everything cordial. Members who verbally attack another (either via the
list or via direct email) may be removed from the list.

As the 'official' list moderator, I'll jump in as necessary to keep
everything orderly. I do this off line and occasionally to the list when
it is appropriate. Our goal is to keep the Elecraft list a fun,
informative central clearing house for Elecraft information and enthusiasm.

6. Please POST your technical questions and comments to the list.
Elecraft owners are your best source for quick answers (and they NEVER
sleep!) If you don't get the answers you need from the list please email
us direct at support(at)elecraft.com , which is our customer service
address. We do try to watch the list traffic, but we may not respond to
everything immediately and may miss some postings sent to the list or
our personal
addresses.

7. Please post your experiences with your Elecraft kit, DX worked, crazy
ideas, product ideas, complaints (yes - we do want to hear them, but
please keep it polite :-) .

7. Commercial postings are allowed if they relate to Elecraft products,
QRP, QRO, home-brewing, building etc. and are of interest to this list's
membership. Please keep them as short as possible and provide web links
to more detailed information. I'll step in if we feel someone is posting
too many messages of this type.

7a. Please limit commercial postings to one per month per offering or
product area (i.e. Builder for Hire postings, ham radio related products
etc.)

8. Personal attacks, flames, or strongly worded derogatory messages will
not be tolerated.  Please do not criticize postings by others.

9. Send parts requests direct to [hidden email], not to the list.

10. If you don't get an answer to a question from the list, or by
checking the list archives, don't forget to check the Builder's Resource
Page at http://www.elecraft.com and our support email address:
[hidden email]

11. Please note that Wayne, myself and our support staff do not read
100% of the emails on this reflector - especially when we are busy at
hamfests, ramping up new products in production etc. If you expect us to
reply to a posting, and we do not do so, please email us directly.

12. And above all, HAVE FUN!. We hope that this list is both a good
technical resource and serves as a Elecraft community gathering place.
We enjoy reading it every day and it really helps us keep our energy
level high so we can continue getting exciting new kit projects out the
door to you!

73, Eric WA6HHQ
Elecraft List Moderator

Re: Elecraft email List Official Guidelines 2012

netegusonihyjc

Re: Elecraft email List Official Guidelines 2012

peter25633