Emergency Radio

Allan Bacon
New guy here, first post, new ham KI4HRN, just started building K2 # 4670.

Retired Marine, was stationed in Northern Virginia on 9/11. Cell phones
worked, but you could not get a call through - all circuits were busy,
until you got south of the Occoquan river, about 15 miles south of DC. I
know, I walked that far until I was able to get hold of my family via cell
phone. Only circuits that worked we radio. That is why I got into amateur
radio - emergency service. We Marines like to say we are not paranoid when
we were right.

Realistically, amateur radio's emergency capabilities are less appreciated
with increase of cellular systems. But, if it ever gets really bad.
Hopefully we will be there.
Very Respectfully,
73,
al