Energizer L91 batteries for the K1-4

dlrwild1
Has anyone tried to use Energizer L91 "AA" lithium chemistry batteries in
the internal battery compartment of the K1-4? The cells are 1.5 volts @ 2900
maH. They are not rechargeable; cost is around $2.00/cell; very slow
constant discharge time. Will these cells fit inside without any issues with
the battery space in the compartment? Thanks for your help and advice.

Duracell also makes a lithium chemistry "AA" battery called the "ULTRA"
LF1500 FR6.

Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
[hidden email]

Re: Energizer L91 batteries for the K1-4

wayne burdick
Administrator
I use these all the time in both the K1 and KX1. Oh, and the KX3 :)

Wayne
N6KR

On Sep 29, 2011, at 11:13 AM, Linda and Bob wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use Energizer L91 "AA" lithium chemistry
> batteries in
> the internal battery compartment of the K1-4? The cells are 1.5
> volts @ 2900
> maH. They are not rechargeable; cost is around $2.00/cell; very slow
> constant discharge time. Will these cells fit inside without any
> issues with
> the battery space in the compartment? Thanks for your help and advice.
>
> Duracell also makes a lithium chemistry "AA" battery called the
> "ULTRA"
> LF1500 FR6.
>
> Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
> [hidden email]

Re: Energizer L91 batteries for the K1-4

Stephen G4SJP
Bob

I fitted them into my K1 and found that they caused shorting somewhere - I
never established quite where as I was too eager to remove them when they
got very hot.  I have compared the size of the cells with alkaline by eye
and can see no difference in diameter but the springs in the battery box
seemed more compressed with the Energizers and I think that one spring was
touching the aluminium bracket.  I have covered the bracket with clear tape
now but haven't put the Energizers back in yet.  Since Wayne uses them, I
shall do just that and try again.  I used them in my KX1 with no issues for
several years.

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 29 September 2011 19:13, Linda and Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use Energizer L91 "AA" lithium chemistry batteries in
> the internal battery compartment of the K1-4? The cells are 1.5 volts @
> 2900
> maH. They are not rechargeable; cost is around $2.00/cell; very slow
> constant discharge time. Will these cells fit inside without any issues
> with
> the battery space in the compartment? Thanks for your help and advice.
>
> Duracell also makes a lithium chemistry "AA" battery called the "ULTRA"
> LF1500 FR6.
>
> Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
> [hidden email]

Re: Energizer L91 batteries for the K1-4

Don Wilhelm-4
Stephen,

I repaired one K1 that had a similar "problem".
If one inserts the battery holder with the battery bodies parallel with
the front panel, yes. the spring leads on the battery pack will be
shorted by the aluminum bracket.
Put the battery pack in the way it is shown on page 7 of the KBT1 manual
- the length of the batteries are parallel with the side panel.

That same thing can happen with any type battery.