Erratic KAT100 tuning behaviour

Rick Wheeler
Radio is K2 No. 2005 w/ all options and latest firmware updates.
Attached is the remote K2/100 with the KAT100. I did in the past have
erratic behavior from the KAT100 until I installed the shield mod kit.
That seemed to clear up the problem until recently. Now the gremlin
seems to have come back for some reason.

The problem only seems to come when the power range switches to high.
But before you jump to the conclusion it must be stray RF (it may be
though??) when the unit is tuned on to the max low power setting (10.0
watts indicated) the erratic tuning will not occur. BUT when power is
ever so slight increased to 11 watts (so the KAT100 is utilized) then
the tuner goes into an infinite loop of tuning. Goes to SWR red bar of
5 down to 1.5 green bar or so then immediately jumps up to red bar of
SWR 5 and so on. After the first cycle it goes to low power (normal
behavior if it cannot find a match) and continues to futilely search
for a match. Same behavior on a dummy load or my Quad

So is it still stray RF? Perhaps a failed component? All the inductors
and caps switch audibly when cycling through the menu. My gut feeling
is that maybe it is stray RF. Yes I have read the KAT100 manual which
lists numerous suggestions to fix the problem. I have not yet
implemented all the suggestions but is there a fix which more often
than not corrects this problem?

Thanks,

Rick
K4LX