External Power Supply for the KPA-500

ANTNEE N3ANT
Hello All, Just a thought....but how about a external power supply for the KPA-500 ? It would leave plenty of room for a built In antenna tuner ?

73 de Antnee N3ANT
Mel

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

Mel
I agree, I don't mind an under the counter supply.

Mel, K6KBE

Hello All, Just a thought....but how about a external power supply for the
KPA-500 ? It would leave plenty of room for a built In antenna tuner ?

73 de Antnee N3ANT

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

Phil Hystad-3
I think an internal power supply for the KPA500 with an external ATU from Elecraft makes a lot more sense.  The power supply is very likely to be a dedicated supply due to voltage level and current draw requirements but a good external and self-contained auto-tuner (legal limit would be nice) from Elecraft would be a very popular product.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Apr 20, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Mel Farrer wrote:

> I agree, I don't mind an under the counter supply.
>
> Mel, K6KBE

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
Hm, the difference is that not everyone needs a automatic antenna
tuner and everyone needs the power supply.  If you have one of them
external, there are strong arguments for it being the antenna tuner.

We have tuneable antennas, and many other antennas run fine without a
tuner.  And the options for an antenna tuning unit include automatic
tuners, simple manual all-band boxes, and per-band matching networks,
as well as intersting things like the fellow (I can't find the URL
right now) who switches binary weighted lengths of twin-lead feeder in
and out to match his wire to his radio.

I suspect that the KPA500 will bootstrap Elecraft into a higher-power
amp in the same size box with an external power supply, but that's
wild speculation.

73, doug

   Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Mel Farrer <[hidden email]>

   I agree, I don't mind an under the counter supply.

   Mel, K6KBE

   Hello All, Just a thought....but how about a external power supply for the
   KPA-500 ? It would leave plenty of room for a built In antenna tuner ?

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

P.B. Christensen
>I think an internal power supply for the KPA500 with an external ATU from
>Elecraft makes a lot more sense.

I like the remote-ATU idea, especially, if it incorporates an auto-tune
feature as well as a means to integrate switched antenna ports.  A 500W
auto-tuner with say...six SO-239 ports would be great.  Those needing more
ports?  Perhaps an expansion capability.

I may have missed it, but I would like to know more about the KPA500's T/R
function -- namely, is it 100% electronic with PIN diode switching?  Or, are
frame and/or vacuum relays used at the amp input and output?  A silent,
PIN-diode switched amp would be commensurate with the K3's excellent T/R
function.

Presently, I am using a SPE 1K-FA amp and although the amp is compact and
has been reliable for me, the T/R switching function is quite noisy.  To
deal with the noise issue, I modified an Ameritron QSK-5 and the T/R
timing/bias function is now better than the stock system:

http://72.52.250.47/images/QSK-5-Interface.pdf

Added to the noise is the fact that the SPE's cooling fans begin getting
noisy when the PA reaches above 100-degrees C.  By the time the PA reaches
150-degrees C, it's as if an F-18 Hornet is taking off from my desktop.   If
the Elecraft folks can apply their same know-how to the KPA500 as they did
with the K3's cooling system, I think few folks will be complaining about
cooling noise.

Paul, W9AC

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

n7ws
http://www.w5dxp.com/notuner.htm

--- On Tue, 4/20/10, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as well as intersting things like the fellow (I can't find
> the URL
> right now) who switches binary weighted lengths of
> twin-lead feeder in
> and out to match his wire to his radio.

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

Vic K2VCO
On 4/20/2010 9:35 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:

> I may have missed it, but I would like to know more about the KPA500's T/R
> function -- namely, is it 100% electronic with PIN diode switching?  Or, are
> frame and/or vacuum relays used at the amp input and output?  A silent,
> PIN-diode switched amp would be commensurate with the K3's excellent T/R
> function.

It's silent solid-state.
--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

Dick Dickinson

Would moving the Power Supply out of the KPA500 enclosure leave room for a
2nd 500 RF deck inside the K3-sized enclosure?  Could two 500 Power supplies
fit in another K3-sized enclosure?

73,
Dick - KA5KKT
----
Hello All, Just a thought....but how about a external power supply for the
KPA-500 ? It would leave plenty of room for a built In antenna tuner ?

73 de Antnee N3ANT
----
I agree, I don't mind an under the counter supply.

Mel, K6KBE
----
I think an internal power supply for the KPA500 with an external ATU from
Elecraft makes a lot more sense.  The power supply is very likely to be a
dedicated supply due to voltage level and current draw requirements but a
good external and self-contained auto-tuner (legal limit would be nice) from
Elecraft would be a very popular product.

73, phil, K7PEH
----
<snip> I suspect that the KPA500 will bootstrap Elecraft into a higher-power
amp in the same size box with an external power supply, but that's
wild speculation.

73, doug

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

K6LMP
It's probably possible to build a KW power supply into a K3 enclosure, but a power supply of that output would absolutely require 220VAC lines, which I believe is one of the reasons Elecraft focused on the 500 watt amplifier size. 500 watts is about the limit for running an amplifier from 110 VAC mains, and requiring access to a 220VAC outlet runs against the grain of the portability that has always been an Elecraft hallmark.

You can't have it all -- legal limit amp, power supply for same, legal limit ATU,  etc. are incompatible with small size, light weight, and ability to run on 110 VAC mains. you just can't shoehorn a "big gun" station into a briefcase.

Elecraft does not have unlimited resources. They have done very well in targeting market niches that other manufacturers don't serve. There are already very good and fairly reasonably priced high-output amps on the market, and I think Elecraft would have a difficult time differentiating itself from those products, in either performance or price, except to the relatively small extent that you can save $$ by  building your own kit.  But heck, there are even kit form KW amplifiers on the market.

Let's all step back, take a deep breath, exhale, and be thankful for the great job Elecraft has done in developing and introducing two apparently wonderful new products at the same time.

Lew K6LMP

On Apr 20, 2010, at 10:27 AM, Edward Dickinson, III wrote:

> Would moving the Power Supply out of the KPA500 enclosure leave room for a
> 2nd 500 RF deck inside the K3-sized enclosure?  Could two 500 Power supplies
> fit in another K3-sized enclosure?

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

Bill Steffey NY9H
probably not enough room for the FANS  :)

bill

At 01:27 PM 4/20/2010, Edward Dickinson, III wrote:

>Would moving the Power Supply out of the KPA500 enclosure leave room for a
>2nd 500 RF deck inside the K3-sized enclosure?  Could two 500 Power supplies
>fit in another K3-sized enclosure?

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

W4GRJ
I am running a Expert 1K-FA 1KW amplifier on 120 VAC with no problems.

Jack
W4GRJ

It's probably possible to build a KW power supply into a K3 enclosure, but a
power supply of that output would absolutely require 220VAC lines, which I
believe is one of the reasons Elecraft focused on the 500 watt amplifier
size. 500 watts is about the limit for running an amplifier from 110 VAC
mains, and requiring access to a 220VAC outlet runs against the grain of the
portability that has always been an Elecraft hallmark.

You can't have it all -- legal limit amp, power supply for same, legal limit
ATU,  etc. are incompatible with small size, light weight, and ability to
run on 110 VAC mains. you just can't shoehorn a "big gun" station into a
briefcase.

Elecraft does not have unlimited resources. They have done very well in
targeting market niches that other manufacturers don't serve. There are
already very good and fairly reasonably priced high-output amps on the
market, and I think Elecraft would have a difficult time differentiating
itself from those products, in either performance or price, except to the
relatively small extent that you can save $$ by  building your own kit.  But
heck, there are even kit form KW amplifiers on the market.

Let's all step back, take a deep breath, exhale, and be thankful for the
great job Elecraft has done in developing and introducing two apparently
wonderful new products at the same time.

Lew K6LMP

On Apr 20, 2010, at 10:27 AM, Edward Dickinson, III wrote:

> Would moving the Power Supply out of the KPA500 enclosure leave room for a
> 2nd 500 RF deck inside the K3-sized enclosure?  Could two 500 Power
supplies
> fit in another K3-sized enclosure?

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

David Gilbert

Pretend for the moment that you are Elecraft.   Everyone needs a power
supply, but not everyone needs a tuner.  Of those who need a tuner, not
everyone needs one with the same range (a larger issue at high power
than it is at low power), and some strongly prefer to have a remote
tuner anyway.  So which makes more sense to package with the amplifier?

73,
Dave   AB7E

From: ANTNEE N3ANT<[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 7:15 AM

Hello All, Just a thought....but how about a external power supply for the
KPA-500 ? It would leave plenty of room for a built In antenna tuner ?

73 de Antnee N3ANT

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

Bill Coleman-2

On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Lew Phelps K6LMP wrote:

> You can't have it all -- legal limit amp, power supply for same, legal limit ATU,  etc. are incompatible with small size, light weight, and ability to run on 110 VAC mains. you just can't shoehorn a "big gun" station into a briefcase.

Yet.

Seriously. The K2/100 is ten-year-old technology. Yet it has way more functionality for its size and weight than transceivers that are ten or twenty years older.

With advances in component miniaturization and material science, it will eventually be possible to have a legal limit rig with PS and ATU all in a package the size of the K3.

Just not yet.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

Richard-3
Elecraft Dick Tracy Special wrist transceiver.
Being strong enough to support the 120 foot tower--Priceless.

<Grin>

Rich
NU6T

Bill Coleman wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Lew Phelps K6LMP wrote:
>

>> You can't have it all -- legal limit amp, power supply for same, legal limit ATU,  etc. are incompatible with small size, light weight, and ability to run on 110 VAC mains. you just can't shoehorn a "big gun" station into a briefcase.
>>

> Yet.
>
> Seriously. The K2/100 is ten-year-old technology. Yet it has way more functionality for its size and weight than transceivers that are ten or twenty years older.
>
> With advances in component miniaturization and material science, it will eventually be possible to have a legal limit rig with PS and ATU all in a package the size of the K3.
>
> Just not yet.
>
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
> Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
>             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

M0XDF
Can we pre-order the KDTT yet?
--
Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than in the one where they sprang up. -Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., US Supreme Court Justice (1841-1935)

On 21 Apr 2010, at 03:21, Richard Hill wrote:

> Elecraft Dick Tracy Special wrist transceiver.
> Being strong enough to support the 120 foot tower--Priceless.
>
> <Grin>

Re: External Power Supply for the KPA-500

Ignacy
I tried to make that point  2 years ago:

http://www.eham.net/articles/19194

The article was unfinished and there is a follow up a few comments later.
Ignacy