FDIM - please book online today if you can !

FDIM - please book online today if you can !

Steve, G4GXL-3
If you are going to FDIM (Four Days In May, Dayton) but have not yet
booked please try to do it today !

Details of attendees are being sent to the badge printers this weekend
and we need to know your details.
Remember - if you book online you will be entered into a draw for a
15m Transceiver !

Online bookings *will be accepted* up to 15th May -
but we lose the benefit of having the materials pre-printed.

If you already know you are going please book today !

Seminar tickets are $40 and the banquet is $35 (Paypal or Credit Card) -
Seminar details here - http://fdim.qrparci.org/content/view/70/79/
Online booking is here - https://fdim.eventwax.com/fdim-2012/register

The door prize list is growing - two Begali keys, five transceivers . . .
and a separate raffle for an Elecraft KX3 !

More general info about FDIM is here -  www.fdim.qrparci.org

73
Steve, G4GXL
--
QRP ARCI Webmaster and Board Member - www.qrparci.org
Four Days In May (FDIM 2012) - www.fdim.qrparci.org

MyAPRS Map - www.g4gxl.com/aprs (Kings Lynn, Norkolk)
Twitter - www.twitter.com/g4gxl
Member - QRP ARCI, G-QRP, TAPR, ARRL, BATC, UK Microwave Group

Re: FDIM - please book online today if you can !

Wilford (Doc) Lindsey
Steve:

Well all I can do or say--after reading the list of prizes to be awarded to QRPers who attend this year's festivities--is, WOW!!  Imagine winning one of the transceivers, let's say the Elecraft K-3!  My gracious!

Sure wish I could myself go this time, but alas there are too many impediments  8^(.  Mebbe next year!

But here's a serious if enigmatic proposal and challenge for those who organise and are physically and fiscally able to attend these annual Pilgrimages = why not offer some sort of drawings for worthy prizes for those of us who will never be physically able to go to Dayton and FDIM?  I'm absolutely serious about this, Steve.  (There's a somewhat subtle parallel illustration here = where a parish takes communion to its home-bound parishioners.)  Can you see what I am calling for?  I'm saying that there is doubtless a considerable part of the

What I am suggesting will no doubt draw derision and even quick ire from some or even many.  Why, they will reason, these prizes are, as it were, *door prizes*.  How can you possibly think that those who do not attend this event, ie those who "do not go through the door", should somehow be eligible for prizes?  And in one sense they are correct, as anyone can plainly see.

But I am speaking on behalf of, and as one of, those who simply will never be able to go to Dayton--ever, no matter how much I might dream about it.  But this is mostly about thousands of QRPers who will never be able to go.  They simply can't take the time off from their TWO or sometimes even THREE jobs.  Or mebbe they have too little money....or too many physical challenges.  Some may be single parents.   A few simply can't stray that far from their carefully articulated medical life-support system.

Someone very reasonably will point out the painfully obvious = Yes, well, mebbe I'm just barely beginning to sorta understand and *maybe* accept your argument here.  Okay, how do we implement it, then?  Ah, there's the rub.

OTOH it might be quite simple.  A starting point could be for each Dayton-bound QRPer simply to nominate up to X number of QRPers she or he knows will not be going this year.  Then there is self-nomination, and there are a number of significant QRP contests from which a net log of participants could be drawn.  Perhaps the various QRP-oriented dealers would be willing to provide a list of every licensed QRPer who has made purchases above a certain amount.  ARCI membership rolls would of course be a rich source of data.

Then using some sort of algorhythm these lists could be filtered and refined and compared to eliminate those actually going to Dayton, and VOILA, there's your list.  And of course this is only indicative, certainly not exhaustive.

Tony, mebbe this is a nutty idea from beginning to end.  Or mebbe not.  Just maybe there is some merit in my proposal.  I'll be interested to hear.

73,
Doc/k0EVZ