FW: P3 VGA output

Rick WA6NHC

I'll politely disagree.  I'm not a web designer but I know hams.   If it
works, hams will retask it instead of tossing it.  Web designers are more
concerned with the bleeding edge, not with getting the longest use from
existing hardware.

I have two 1024X768 monitors here, in use for many tasks, including
browsing.  I still have one monitor that is <gasp!> a CRT (on my text
based IRLP system).  While I've converted to laptops for most of my work,
the old desktops (down to three) still serve a function.

If it works well enough to do what you need, including energy costs, why
toss it?

However, I see no point in a P3 on CGA or an 800x600 display. ;-)

There is a wide variety of display ratios over the last couple decades (no
hard standards).  It's not reasonable to require or request them all.
Going to HDTV standards was a wise move since the market is already there
and will be for a generation to come.  Extra choices are gravy.

If my current monitor collection doesn't work for the P3, I'll go get
another HDTV and that'll give me more use (watch Jeopardy and the P3 using
PIP?) for near the same money.  My laptops can use them too in native
1080p.

Rick WA6NHC. (this time I checked the spell checker 'fixes', sorry)

Tiny iPhone keypad, sorry for typos

On Dec 19, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Doug Person <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very few monitors in use today (for web-browsing) can accommodate 1024 x
> 768 as a native mode.  This is a well-known statistic among
> web-developers.  I didn't say Elecraft shouldn't support this mode.
> But, obviously, I should have just said 1366x768 would be the next most
> important mode and leave it at that.  I don't think its a reasonable
> statement to say any particular monitor type is more likely to be in use
> by hams.  You're just making an assumption not based on any particular
> data.  Industry data says 1024x768 is not used much anymore.  I don't
> think hams are very far out of the mainstream.  End of discussion.
>
> On 12/19/2011 11:02 AM, Rick Bates wrote:
>> "Very few NEW monitors" would be a more accurate statement.  And since
when
>> do most hams through out any functioning device?  In other words, an
older
>> monitor is MORE likely to be in the shack than a new one, regardless of
the