FW: Travel antennas - outside with rig inside

FW: Travel antennas - outside with rig inside

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II
I've spent the last ten years or so searching for the right radio and
antenna combination for island jumping in the Caribbean.  I started with am
Icom 756 Pro II and dipoles (with snap-on legs) and used that combination
for several years.  The trouble is, the radio is extremely heavy, requiring
a Pelican case for just the radio and accessories (just making the 50 lb
limit).  Two months ago I tried a Flex 3000 + Laptop and a new YP3 -
portable 3 element beam/ tripod combination on a trip to PJ4... which from a
traveling standpoint was ideal.  The radio + power supply and laptop all fit
into a carry-on briefcase, while the antenna and tripod fit into a small
3-foot long duffel bag.  Unfortunately I found the radio to be very
difficult to stabilize without counterpoises, lots of RF chokes, etc...so
its history.  Enter my new K3 <advertisement begins here>.  I finished my
new K3 last Friday and used it in the IARU over the weekend with the
portable beam in the back yard, placing what looks like first in my section.
I'm taking it to J68 in 2 weeks (for two weeks) to put it through its paces
(including much needed RTTY contacts from J68).  Hopefully I can fit the
radio, power supply, and laptop in a carry-on.  For those of you who have
experience traveling with your K3's... I'd love to hear your experience
(what worked and what didn't).  I think, though, this combination will be a
winner...

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ / J68HZ/ 8P6HK/ ZF2HZ/ PJ4HZ

Owner - Operator
Big Signal Ranch
Staunton, Illinois

email:  [hidden email]

Re: FW: Travel antennas - outside with rig inside

Scott Haller
Hi Bill,

Me and my K3 have made two trips down to the Bahamas.   The radio, a small
switching power supply, and Heil Proset Plus headset, easily fit into my
roll-on bag.  There was even some room to spare for a good portion of my
clothes and assorted travel supplies.   My bag has an outside lap-top
compartment that was filled with my full-size Dell lap top.

Next time I'd definitely go with a smaller computer.  Though on the my first
trip to C6A, a ran into a USB to RS-232 converter issue.  I think this was
likely linked to a driver issue with Vista.  For the second trip, the
lap-top was an older Dell with a real RS-232 port.

Good luck with the new K3 and safe travels to the islands.

Best 73s,

Scott K2CK/C6ASH
K3#2581
KX3 - Arrives on Monday (7/23/2012)

Re: FW: Travel antennas - outside with rig inside

criswat
I think CB Antenna would be very good choice for you. If you are going to choose a antenna for a car, then the best type is the top-loaded or base-loaded models. So just try any of these antenna & enjoy a good recetion..

digital tv aerial | aerial repair