Favor to ask...

Tom Althoff
I just finished the resistance check on my new KAT-100 and all looks ok.   It was a fun project to put together.   Winding those large toroids is a breeze compared to those in the K2 or KPA-100.

I am going ahead with my K2+1 (=K3?) where the KAT-100 will be an integral part of my K2/100.

I removed the feet and bail from the K2 and had to drill two holes in the bottom/rear panel of the K2 to mount a pair of 2D connectors so I can mate one-to-one with the KAT-100.

I bought one of those cooling fans used in the KPA-100 (a bit pricey at $22.00 each!) and will be mounting it in the KAT-100 to blow across the bottom of the K2 output transistors (and eventually up out of the KPA-100 heat sink).   I will be enlarging the hole where the DB-9 connector would have been if I had installed it in the KAT-100 and that's where the fan will be mounted.

Instead of externally feeding the Elecraft bus signals via the DB-9 I want to tie into P4 of the KAT-100 circuit board and run a ribbon cable up to the control panel and KPA-100 header connectors.

HERE'S THE REQUEST FOR THE FAVOR (took long enough to get here...thanks for reading)...

Is there anyone on the Elecraft list who can fabricate a ribbon cable with the 10 pin female connectors to connect the Control panel of the K2 with P4 in the KAT-100 and the header in the KPA-100?    I would need 4 inches between the 1st and 2nd connector and another 6 inches to the last connector.

I'll post pics when this gets done in case anyone else wants to butcher their radio too.   I think it looks pretty good...certainly unique.

Anyone out there with a Blue Max crimp kit?

73 de Tom K2TA
K2 #1117

Re: Favor to ask...

Donald K. Duncan

>Anyone out there with a Blue Max crimp kit?

I've used small pieces of angle iron and some vicegrips
to do this.  The angle iron distributes the force on
the connector during crimping so that it isn't damaged.
Works great in a pinch (pardon the pun... :).

~Don
--------