Feature request - AF/RF knob default behavior

Feature request - AF/RF knob default behavior

K7MJG
Hello,

On power up, and at the switch to a new band, the AF/RF knob controls AF.  I can press the knob to control the RF level.  As a matter of operating style to reduce noise, I *always* set the AF to 60 (the max) and then use RF to control listening levels.  However, as I switch bands, the KX3 switches back to AF mode and I have to keep toggling back to RF mode.  I feel like I'm going to eventually break the AF/RF knob.

I would like the ability to specify in a menu that RF is the default mode for the AF/RF knob instead of AF.

Thanks,
Mark

K7MJG

Re: Feature request - AF/RF knob default behavior

wayne burdick
Administrator
So noted, Mark (and added to the wish list). Thanks.

Wayne
N6KR

On Nov 26, 2013, at 5:38 PM, K7MJG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On power up, and at the switch to a new band, the AF/RF knob controls AF.  I
> can press the knob to control the RF level.  As a matter of operating style
> to reduce noise, I *always* set the AF to 60 (the max) and then use RF to
> control listening levels.  However, as I switch bands, the KX3 switches back
> to AF mode and I have to keep toggling back to RF mode.  I feel like I'm
> going to eventually break the AF/RF knob.
>
> I would like the ability to specify in a menu that RF is the default mode
> for the AF/RF knob instead of AF.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> K7MJG

Re: Feature request - AF/RF knob default behavior

K7MJG
Wayne,

Something easier to implement than what I suggested would be to simply *not* change the AF/RF mode on a band change.  That way, there would be no additional menu option to implement.  All an operator would have to do is click the AF/RF button *once* on power up and they would be able to use the RF-only adjustment for the length of that power up session.

Furthermore, no documentation would have to change (other than the release notes).  I checked the KX3 Owner's Manual and no mention is made of AF/RF mode band switch behavior. (Page 12.)

Mark
K7MJG

Re: Feature request - AF/RF knob default behavior

K7MJG
Wayne,

I've been saying that the AF/RF reverts to AF on "band change", but I noticed that it reverts to AF upon a memory recall as well, regardless of whether the recalled frequency is within the current band or not.  So I suppose that I should adjust my wording to say that anytime the firmware currently reverts to AF mode should be changed to not revert to AF mode and just stay in the currently selected mode.

Thanks,
Mark
K7MJG

Re: Feature request - AF/RF knob default behavior

KE6BB
Mark (K7MJG...this is going to get confusing!),

Re:  <<Something easier to implement than what I suggested would be to simply *not*
change the AF/RF mode on a band change.  That way, there would be no
additional menu option to implement... >>

Excellent idea!  Sometimes simpler isbetter.

I, too, tend to operate with the AF up and use RF gain to control the volume any time the band is noisy.  Makes sense in a radio that has an RF amplifier up front, but not sure it is as helpful with the KX3 (but I still do it).  I haven't really seen a need to control this on a per-band basis, though.  I like your idea since it follows the KISS principle, reduces "code bloat", and lets me configure my radio with one button press.

The other Mark,
KE6BB
(Told you this was going to get confusing)!