Field Day 2012 with K2-7006

aj4tf
If you have W4UA in your field day log on either 15m or 75/80m, then you heard K2/100 #7006 on the air.  It stayed powered for about 23 hours straight.  Unfortunately *I* could not stay powered up for 23 hours straight,  so I had to relinquish command to another operator last night.

15m was really open to California and Texas from our location (NC), we made many contacts there.

73,

de AJ4TF

Re: Field Day 2012 with K2-7006

John Strandberg
Your K2 sounded great on two of our stations when I was listening.

73 John W4DX

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM, aj4tf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you have W4UA in your field day log on either 15m or 75/80m, then you
> heard K2/100 #7006 on the air.  It stayed powered for about 23 hours
> straight.  Unfortunately *I* could not stay powered up for 23 hours
> straight,  so I had to relinquish command to another operator last night.
>
> 15m was really open to California and Texas from our location (NC), we made
> many contacts there.
>
> 73,
>
> de AJ4TF

Re: Field Day 2012 with K2-7006

ny4g
We were a couple of K2s in South Carolina as a 2B QRP station with a tribander hex beam at 20 ft and an end fed half wave sloped hung from a tree branch at 70 ft.  Sunspots were low at a sunspot number of only 13.  40m became long for a time as we made contact with KH7AA in Hawaii.  Alaska was also in the log.  We were under the call sign NY4G.  We had a solar panel putting out close to 3 amps during the day.  The computers used for logging as well as the wireless router were run from a small pure sine wave inverter.  I was greeted by a 4 foot snake next to my tent around breakfast time on Sunday.  I do not know who was more startled - the snake or me.  We were out in the back woods of someone's property.  We operated mostly CW - with 260 contacts and made 14 phone contacts on the beam as far as Quebec and California.

My backup rig was a KX1 which I did not have to use.  The hex beam was great along with the PAR EFHW dipole.

Ariel NY4G and KQ4VY Matt

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 24, 2012, at 5:23 PM, "John Strandberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your K2 sounded great on two of our stations when I was listening.
>
> 73 John W4DX
>
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM, aj4tf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you have W4UA in your field day log on either 15m or 75/80m, then you
>> heard K2/100 #7006 on the air.  It stayed powered for about 23 hours
>> straight.  Unfortunately *I* could not stay powered up for 23 hours
>> straight,  so I had to relinquish command to another operator last night.
>>
>> 15m was really open to California and Texas from our location (NC), we made
>> many contacts there.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> de AJ4TF
>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Field Day 2012 with K2-7006

Don Baucom
Sounds like you had a blast. Last week I was in Taos, NM (see pic) Sat am worked Japan with the K1 #2999 on 40. Then flew back to VA. We arrived home about 7:00pm. XYL approved a run out to the K4LRG field day sight. Was able to watch four K3's in action. Sunday am, set up my K2 #7261 on the deck and made a quick 12 QSO's. Sunday afternoon I was in the shack and noticed a FT-950 sitting with a FT-450D gathering dust. If I looked at the right angle, I could see a K3 #TBD sitting there. XYL will be thrilled to hear 2 leaving only one coming in. I will explain the need for the P3 when I'm driving the wife and kids to the beach

73
Don
K4YND

Re: Field Day 2012 with K2-7006

Michael Babineau-2
aj4tf <[hidden email]> wrote :
>Date: June 24, 2012 4:32:54 PM EDT
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Elecraft] Field Day 2012 with K2-7006

>If you have W4UA in your field day log on either 15m or 75/80m, then you
>heard K2/100 #7006 on the air.  It stayed powered for about 23 hours
>straight.  Unfortunately *I* could not stay powered up for 23 hours
>straight,  so I had to relinquish command to another operator last night.

>15m was really open to California and Texas from our location (NC), we made
>many contacts there.

>73,

>de AJ4TF

I operated Field Day as Class 1E from my cottage in QC using K2/10 #5995 running 5W.

It was a pretty casual operation for me, mostly CW, but it was also the first contest that I have
participated in since recently building / installing the KAT2 and KSB2.   I decided that
in spite of the fact I was only running 5W, I should also try to make at least a few SSB QSOs
to get a feel for how the SSB option was working.  I was very pleased to get an unsolicited
comment on how good my SSB audio was (I am using a Kenwood MC-43S hand mic).
I am certain that the station on the other end had no idea I was QRP.

I was also very pleased with the operation of the KAT2 tuner. I normally use an external LDG autotuner.
Having the internal tuner was very slick and made band changing and switching between
my two antennas (a 204 ft doublet & an inverted-L W3EDP) very painless.

The K2 was an absolute joy to use for Field Day, which I guess is not too surprising, as it was designed by
Eric and Wayne to be "the Ultimate Field Day rig".

Michael VE3WMB / VA2NB