Firmware Stability

Mike Scott-7

>I am sitting here with K3 #818 with firmware release 1.7X waiting a version
>of the K3 firmware to stabilize and be around for longer than a few days
>before a new version or new Bata development is released.

Wow, I suggest getting used to it or just quit looking and check every few
months or so if this bugs you this month. The K3 is a new product, there are
new features to come like the DVR and a panadapter and tweaks to old ones.
The sub Rx just got released and there is a long-long list of requested
feature changes to the K3 firmware in addition to the yet to implemented
features promised before the first K3 sale like ability to use the higher
stability reference oscillator.

I expect many-many more changes to come; your expectations of some kind of
near-term stability just aren't realistic IMHO. I would suggest finding a
way to get your head around hunkering down for a couple of years of this. We
all signed on to this when we purchased a brand new state of the art
product. I am sorry if your expectations were different.

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311

Re: Firmware Stability

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike and all,

Perhaps it also needs to be said that each release *is* stable.  That
is, it 'does what it does', and with very few exceptions, it does it
well.  Each release has been tested, and all the bugs identified by the
Field Test group are fixed.  Most releases offer additional function.
In case there is a remaining major bug which is identified after the
release goes public, you can be assured that it will be fixed in short
order, and it will be publicized.  A quick review of the firmware
release notes will indicate how much is added function and how much is
bug fixes, and I believe the added function parts win 'hands down'.

I believe the situation with the K3 firmware is much different than the
continuous string of updates offered by major software 'manufacturers'.
Their continuous string of 'upgrades' do not normally include added
function, but instead consist mainly of bug fixes and plugs for the
security holes.

A user may want to wait a few days after a new release is announced to
see if any major bugs are identified, but I see no advantage to delay
upgrading to the newest release.  The Firmware Field Testers *do* see
incremental changes, and I have loaded most every one as it is available
(sometimes multiple times in a day), and I can say that my K3 has never
been 'broken' with any release I have loaded, no failures observed here.

Mike Scott wrote:

>> I am sitting here with K3 #818 with firmware release 1.7X waiting a version
>> of the K3 firmware to stabilize and be around for longer than a few days
>> before a new version or new Bata development is released.
>>

> Wow, I suggest getting used to it or just quit looking and check every few
> months or so if this bugs you this month. The K3 is a new product, there are
> new features to come like the DVR and a panadapter and tweaks to old ones.
> The sub Rx just got released and there is a long-long list of requested
> feature changes to the K3 firmware in addition to the yet to implemented
> features promised before the first K3 sale like ability to use the higher
> stability reference oscillator.
>
> I expect many-many more changes to come; your expectations of some kind of
> near-term stability just aren't realistic IMHO. I would suggest finding a
> way to get your head around hunkering down for a couple of years of this. We
> all signed on to this when we purchased a brand new state of the art
> product. I am sorry if your expectations were different.
>
> Mike Scott - AE6WA
> Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
> K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311

Re: Pan Adapter

paul hendershott

I would love to hear from anyone using the LP-PAN. Any real-life display pictures or videos would be neat.

73
Paul

Re: Pan Adapter

Bruce Bowman
Go here:

There are hundreds of archived notes to read.

Bruce, NM5B

> I would love to hear from anyone using the LP-PAN. Any real-life
> display pictures or videos would be neat.
>
> 73
> Paul

Re: Pan Adapter

paul hendershott
Thanks to Bruce and others for their experiences using the LP-PAN and PowerSDR. Also, the U-Tube videos were great!

73
Paul
W9BBR