First K1 QSO

Craig Rairdin
I don't have a "real" antenna nor another xcvr to help me tune and calibrate
the K1, so after the initial receiver alignment I went right to building the
ATU. In my impatience to get on the air I just unwound a 30' roll of hook-up
wire and strung it around my office between storage cabinet door handles. I
get about a 2:1 SWR on 40 M and better than 1.2:1 on the other bands. First
CQ in the neighborhood of 7040 MHz gets me a call from W0SJS. Only about 500
miles away but amazing given the setup.

I'll eventually finish the tune-up and calibration but I'm amazed at how
well it works right out of the box, so to speak. No wonder you guys love
these things for backpacking and DXpedizing.

Craig