First-time VOX test: It works!

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
To those of you SSB ops who won't use VOX because every implementation of it you've ever used basically sucked -- Try the K3! I just set it up using my Heil Pro-Set for the first time, and it works just as you think it should. Very smooth, no dropped syllables, no falsing -- amazing. It feels effortless, like the K3's QSK on CW. This is by far the best VOX I have ever tried.

Bill W5WVO

Re: First-time VOX test: It works!

Stewart Baker
Yup, it's pretty good..

73
Stewart G3RXQ
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:59:51 -0600, Bill W5WVO wrote:
> To those of you SSB ops who won't use VOX because every
implementation of it you've
> ever used basically sucked -- Try the K3! I just set it up using
my Heil Pro-Set for
> the first time, and it works just as you think it should. Very
smooth, no dropped
> syllables, no falsing -- amazing. It feels effortless, like the
K3's QSK on CW. This is

> by far the best VOX I have ever tried.
>
> Bill W5WVO

Re: First-time VOX test: It works!

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
DSP based VOX is very cool. :-)  We can do some interesting things to
avoid dropped first syllables.

Eric  WA6HHQ

Stewart Baker wrote:

> Yup, it's pretty good..
>
> 73
> Stewart G3RXQ
>
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:59:51 -0600, Bill W5WVO wrote:
>
>> To those of you SSB ops who won't use VOX because every implementation of it you've ever used basically sucked -- Try the K3! I just set it up using my Heil Pro-Set forthe first time, and it works just as you think it should. Very smooth, no dropped syllables, no falsing -- amazing. It feels effortless, like the K3's QSK on CW. This is by far the best VOX I have ever tried.
>>
>> Bill W5WVO

Re: First-time VOX test: It works!

Stewart Baker
Is that "do" do or "can" do ?

73
Stewart G3RXQ
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:25:32 -0700, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
wrote:
> DSP based VOX is very cool. :-)  We can do some interesting
things to

> avoid dropped first syllables.
>
> Eric  WA6HHQ
>

> Stewart Baker wrote:
>> Yup, it's pretty good..
>>
>> 73
>> Stewart G3RXQ
>>
>> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:59:51 -0600, Bill W5WVO wrote:
>>
>>> To those of you SSB ops who won't use VOX because every
implementation of it you've
>>> ever used basically sucked -- Try the K3! I just set it up
using my Heil Pro-Set
>>> forthe first time, and it works just as you think it should.
Very smooth, no
>>> dropped syllables, no falsing -- amazing. It feels effortless,
like the K3's QSK on
>>> CW. This is by far the best VOX I have ever tried.
>>>
>>> Bill W5WVO

Re: First-time VOX test: It works!

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
'Do' as in 'already do'.. ;-)
Our current DSL firmware is designed to provide an extremely fast VOX
that does not drop much, if any, of the first syllable.

73, Eric

Stewart Baker wrote:

> Is that "do" do or "can" do ?
>
> 73
> Stewart G3RXQ
>
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:25:32 -0700, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
> wrote:
>
>> DSP based VOX is very cool. :-)  We can do some interesting  things to avoid dropped first syllables.

Re: First-time VOX test: It works!

Bill W4ZV

Eric - WA6HHQ wrote
'Do' as in 'already do'.. ;-)
Our current DSL firmware is designed to provide an extremely fast VOX
that does not drop much, if any, of the first syllable.
Let me guess.  Put the audio stream in a short delay line and offset the initiation by the amount of time it takes the audio detection to trigger...so no audio is lost (other than a slight delay undetectable to the ear).  Slick!

73,  Bill

Re: First-time VOX test: It works!

Jan Erik Holm
Nice! It´s years and years since I´ve used a VOX that worked
correct.

Sure looking forward to receive my K3. Too bad I have to wait
another while, oh well there are plenty other things to do but radio.

73 Jim SM2EKM
---------------------------
Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> DSP based VOX is very cool. :-)  We can do some interesting things to
> avoid dropped first syllables.
>
> Eric  WA6HHQ
>

> Stewart Baker wrote:
>> Yup, it's pretty good..
>>
>> 73
>> Stewart G3RXQ
>>
>> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:59:51 -0600, Bill W5WVO wrote:
>>
>>> To those of you SSB ops who won't use VOX because every
>>> implementation of it you've ever used basically sucked -- Try the K3!
>>> I just set it up using my Heil Pro-Set forthe first time, and it
>>> works just as you think it should. Very smooth, no dropped syllables,
>>> no falsing -- amazing. It feels effortless, like the K3's QSK on CW.
>>> This is by far the best VOX I have ever tried.
>>>
>>> Bill W5WVO

Re: First-time VOX test: It works!

Stewart Baker
A little bit of DSP delay works wonders :-)

73
Stewart G3RXQ