Fix for my KX3 speaker distortion / buzzing

Fix for my KX3 speaker distortion / buzzing

Arthur Nienhouse
/*I found the fix for my speaker buzzing which was the fit of the
speaker grill fit between the upper half and the lower half of the case.
I filed the lower case for clearance on the sides of the speaker the
vertical part on the lower case half both sides I now have 1/16 inch on
the vertical sides and just a bit less on the lower side.
Before I reassembled the case halves I bent in just a bit the very
bottom of the speaker grill across the bottom.
My speaker has the grill cloth installed the tone is not harsh but more
mellow there is no detection of any buzzing while sending from an
external key testing with out installing the
KXPD3 volume full (30) on the cw  monitor next I installed the KXPD3 key
again no buzzing or distortion.
The issue for me is now fixed.

Regards
Art
ka9zap
Serial #652
*/

Re: [KX3] Fix for my KX3 speaker distortion / buzzing

wayne burdick
Administrator
Art Nienhouse wrote:
> I found the fix for my speaker buzzing which was the fit of the
> speaker grill fit between the upper half and the lower half of the
> case.
> I filed the lower case for clearance on the sides of the speaker the
> vertical part on the lower case half both sides I now have 1/16 inch
> on the vertical sides and just a bit less on the lower side.

Art,

This is probably a lot more clearance than is necessary. It sounds
like all that is really required is to avoid direct edgewise contact
between the top and bottom covers around the perimeter of the speaker.

But I'm glad you found that this helps, and I'm modifying the top and
bottom cover drawings so that the very next production run of
enclosures will benefit from the change.

> Before I reassembled the case halves I bent in just a bit the very
> bottom of the speaker grill across the bottom.

I'm not sure why that would be necessary except to achieve the same
kind of clearance between top and bottom covers (around the entire
perimeter of the speaker "isthmus"). Again, I'm increasing this
clearance in the mechanical drawing.

73,
Wayne
N6KR