For KX-1 fans -- some real simple ways to pack up some outboard batteries...

For KX-1 fans -- some real simple ways to pack up some outboard batteries...

Peter N. Spotts-3
Hi folks,

Just in case anyone is looking for some very simple ideas on packing up
some external AAs for the KX-1 or other small QRP rigs...

http://wilcoxengineering.com/projects/amateur-projects/42-bat-pak

http://w1pns.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/power-to-the-peanut-whistle/

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts -- W1PNS
http://www.w1pns.net

Re: For KX-1 fans -- some real simple ways to pack up some outboard batteries...

David Cutter
A tidy arrangement, but I would have one less set of connectors in series
with the battery, possibly more:  either I would solder the wires direct to
the KX1 pcb, or, not to spoil the KX1, I would eliminate the power poles.
The fuse and holder will drop quite a lot of precious mV as well, so I would
be tempted to solder directly to the fuse or use fuse wire without the
holder soldered direct to the battery box terminal, then a joint to the
supply wire.

David
G3UNA

> Hi folks,
>
> Just in case anyone is looking for some very simple ideas on packing up
> some external AAs for the KX-1 or other small QRP rigs...
>
> http://wilcoxengineering.com/projects/amateur-projects/42-bat-pak
>
> http://w1pns.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/power-to-the-peanut-whistle/
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Peter N. Spotts -- W1PNS

Re: For KX-1 fans -- some real simple ways to pack up some outboard batteries...

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX

David,
Anytime you're talking portable, there's always the risk of connecting
something wrong, even when we know better! IMHO, I'd gladly sacrifice a
few mV just to know that a blockhead goof-up that I make won't smoke
something.
73,
Alan

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX (K2-5373, K3-40)
570-321-1516
http://WilcoxEngineering.com
Williamsport, PA 17701

David Cutter wrote:

> A tidy arrangement, but I would have one less set of connectors in series
> with the battery, possibly more:  either I would solder the wires direct to
> the KX1 pcb, or, not to spoil the KX1, I would eliminate the power poles.
> The fuse and holder will drop quite a lot of precious mV as well, so I would
> be tempted to solder directly to the fuse or use fuse wire without the
> holder soldered direct to the battery box terminal, then a joint to the
> supply wire.
>
> David
> G3UNA
>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Just in case anyone is looking for some very simple ideas on packing up
>> some external AAs for the KX-1 or other small QRP rigs...
>>
>> http://wilcoxengineering.com/projects/amateur-projects/42-bat-pak
>>
>> http://w1pns.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/power-to-the-peanut-whistle/
>>
>> With best regards,
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> --
>> Peter N. Spotts -- W1PNS

Re: For KX-1 fans -- some real simple ways to pack up some outboard batteries...

David Cutter
Alan

I take your meaning entirely and I agree it is very easy to get it wrong -
I've done it often enough, but you've got that protection either with the
power poles or with the jack plug, why have both?

I'm even thinking you don't need the fuse.  If you think you need a fuse,
use an electronic one that will drop less volts.  You should ask your self:
what is the fuse protecting and where will the short occur that will pull
enough current to blow it?  The usual answer is a cable short which leads to
another discussion.

David
G3UNA