Fun question - Purchase price if K2/100 with options is purchased assembled

Fun question - Purchase price if K2/100 with options is purchased assembled

Richard Merhar
What would you pay for a K2/100 with all options (DSP) if it was available as an assembled unit? Take into account the transceivers you have compared the K2 with, and let me know what you think it is worth. I am trying to ascertain the perception of what value people would place on this radio if it was not a kit.
I have heard that it is worth twice as much as the kit price, do you agree?

Do you compare this radio to an FT1000` an Orion, TS950SDX? (That would be incredible to me if it was regarded that highly.).

Your opinion is appreciated.
Tnx
Rich WE8T

Re: Fun question - Purchase price if K2/100 with options is purchased assembled

Brian Mury-3
On Tue, 2005-04-01 at 19:28 -0500, Richard Merhar wrote:
> What would you pay for a K2/100 with all options (DSP) if it was
> available as an assembled unit? Take into account the transceivers you
> have compared the K2 with, and let me know what you think it is worth.
> I am trying to ascertain the perception of what value people would
> place on this radio if it was not a kit.
> I have heard that it is worth twice as much as the kit price, do you
> agree?

If it was available factory-assembled for less than the cost of the kit,
I would still buy the kit. I suppose that doesn't help you determine the
value... :-)

> Do you compare this radio to an FT1000` an Orion, TS950SDX? (That
> would be incredible to me if it was regarded that highly.).

But of course!

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

RE: Fun question - Purchase price if K2/100 with options ispurchased assembled

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Brian, VE7NGR, wrote:

If it was available factory-assembled for less than the cost of the kit, I
would still buy the kit. I suppose that doesn't help you determine the
value... :-)

---------------------

About four years ago I was lusting after an all-band HF rig that was CW and
SSB capable and wasn't in the mood to build something from scratch. For the
previous 45+ years operating, every HF band and most VHF transmitters and
most of the receivers I had owned were built from scratch or from a kit. I
was beginning to wonder if I wanted something that ambitious if I was going
to have to break down and buy my first "factory assembled" rig.

Then I worked a fellow using this nice-sounding rig called a "K2"... And, as
they say, "the rest was history".

Why such a fixation on building?

I can still remember sitting at a state-of-the art station owned by a very
wealthy Ham in my home town back in the 1950's. I was running NCS for a
RACES SET (simulated emergency test) and enjoying myself pushing traffic
through the system. But, sitting back and looking at the racks of gear in
the shack that came to life when I hit the key or pressed the PTT on the ol'
D-104, I can still remember thinking there was something more special about
making a contact using my 6L6 crystal oscillator back home. I'd never pass
up a chance to work Brooks' station. He was a great guy, a great Elmer and a
good friend for this confused teenager, and his station made me drool.
Still, I knew it was more fun hooking up with a ham across town using my
6L6.

There's something about making contacts on a rig that was once a box of
parts on my work bench that makes it more fun to operate.

Ron AC7AC

Re: Fun question - Purchase price if K2/100 with options ispurchased assembled

S55M
Do you compare this radio to an FT1000` an Orion, TS950SDX? (That
> > would be incredible to me if it was regarded that highly.).

Incredible things happen from time to time....at least in CW

S55M-Adi
K2-Nr3204

> On Tue, 2005-04-01 at 19:28 -0500, Richard Merhar wrote:
> > What would you pay for a K2/100 with all options (DSP) if it was
> > available as an assembled unit? Take into account the transceivers you
> > have compared the K2 with, and let me know what you think it is worth.
> > I am trying to ascertain the perception of what value people would
> > place on this radio if it was not a kit.
> > I have heard that it is worth twice as much as the kit price, do you
> > agree?
>
> If it was available factory-assembled for less than the cost of the kit,
> I would still buy the kit. I suppose that doesn't help you determine the
> value... :-)
>
> > Do you compare this radio to an FT1000` an Orion, TS950SDX? (That
> > would be incredible to me if it was regarded that highly.).
>
> But of course!
>
> --
> 73, Brian
> VE7NGR

Re: Fun question - Purchase price if K2/100 with optionsispurchased assembled

Tom Althoff
I agree with Adi.

I'm sitting here with a check for $3,300 that arrived yesterday from the
sale of my Orion to K9FLY.   A ham in Germany got the Orion speaker, Inrad
filter and microphone for $200.

I took $280 and bought the KAT100-1 auto-tuner for my K2/100.

The Orion has better ultimate selectivity, dual RX, general coverage,
pseudo-dual-diversity and better SSB transmit capability and voice keyer.

It is also large and heavy.  You can fit four K2's inside an Orion.  You
have to press a button before you can change the RF gain, keyer speed or
power level (PITA).

I had both rigs side by side for 2 months and there was never a time under
crowded contest conditions or deliberate jamming that the K2 didn't keep up
with the Orion.  Those were real world conditions.  Whenever the Orion
impressed me by pulling the VU4 out of the noise or a JA on 160 in a pileup
I would switch over to the K2 and was even more amazed that I could pull it
out on the little box too.

A wired version under $2,000 would be reasonable.

> Do you compare this radio to an FT1000` an Orion, TS950SDX? (That
> > > would be incredible to me if it was regarded that highly.).
>
> Incredible things happen from time to time....at least in CW
>

> S55M-Adi
> K2-Nr3204

options