Fw: K1-4 niMh 1.2v batteries

dlrwild1
Need help. See message below, thanks!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda and Bob" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 04:31 PM
Subject: K1-4 niMh 1.2v batteries

>I have the internal battery option installed on my K1-4. I searched for
>batteries online and at Radio Shack. Elecraft recommends Radio Shack brand
>batteries, but warns that they must not be larger than 0.55" (14 mm). I
>need 8 NiMh 1.2 volt cells. The RS batteries do not specify the diameter of
>the cells. They are 2500 maH cells which is very high capacity. What
>brand(s) are best (Sanyo, RS, Duracell etc.)? Battery America  sells mostly
>Sanyo. RS has them for $17.99 for a 4 pack.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, thank you so much!
>
> 73
> Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
> [hidden email]

Re: Fw: K1-4 niMh 1.2v batteries

Don Wilhelm-4
Bob,

When battery diameter is not specified, it is best to measure them - I
would suggest taking your calipers along to the store.

There is just so much space in the K1 holder for the internal batteries
- if the diameter is too large, the batteries may not fit into the
available space.  I believe the vertical space is the most critical.

On 9/4/2011 6:18 PM, Linda and Bob wrote:

> Need help. See message below, thanks!

Re: K1-4 niMh 1.2v batteries

Ingo Meyer, DK3RED
Hello Bob,

>> I have the internal battery option installed on my K1-4. I searched for
>> batteries online and at Radio Shack. Elecraft recommends Radio Shack brand
>> batteries, but warns that they must not be larger than 0.55" (14 mm). I
>> need 8 NiMh 1.2 volt cells. The RS batteries do not specify the diameter of
>> the cells. ...

Is there an additional information on the batteries or in the text?
The batteries labeled AA (or Mignon) have a diameter of 14.3 mm (and a length of 51 mm).
So any AA/Mignon cell (any brand) should fit.
--
73/72 de Ingo, DK3RED - Don't forget: the fun is the power!
        www.qrp4fun.de - [hidden email]