Fw: Moderation

vk4tux
 Perhaps so, Could be an internet thing, it just seemed like my post was
stuck in a cache until approved.

 Adrian ... vk4tux

Re: Fw: Moderation

Cookie
A factor here is that every message gets a dual posting on Mailman.QTH.net and the Yahoo Group.  The message must go first to mailman and be processed then back to Yahoo and be processed.  I don't know how long each of these steps take but being processed by two services and passing through the internet two times is bound to take longer than one pass.  I have been a regular on Elecraft reflectors for about 5 years and I have never seen a message held up that looks like an approval process.  Some times the message seems to take a while, but benign messages seem to have this happen as often as controversial messages.  Eric does sometimes ask us to curtail a thread, but it seems to me that it is always when the thread is getting too long and tedious rather than when the discussion is controversial.  I think the delays are just part of the internet, and particularly a part of sometimes inadequate server power at Yahoo.  I notice the delays on other
 Yahoo services as well.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________
Perhaps so, Could be an internet thing, it just seemed like my post was
stuck in a cache until approved.

Adrian ... vk4tux

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
This official Elecraft list is totally independent of and not connected to the Yahoo groups. Postings are not linked. The Yahoo K3 and KX3 groups were set up by others and are not moderated by us.

This list is the primary focus for Elecraft information and discussion. We do try to read the other lists when we have time, but do not do so nearly as often as we read and respond to postings on this list.

73,
Eric
Elecraft list moderator etc.
www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Apr 28, 2012, at 7:49 AM, WILLIS COOKE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A factor here is that every message gets a dual posting on Mailman.QTH.net and the Yahoo Group.  The message must go first to mailman and be processed then back to Yahoo and be processed.  I don't know how long each of these steps take but being processed by two services and passing through the internet two times is bound to take longer than one pass.  I have been a regular on Elecraft reflectors for about 5 years and I have never seen a message held up that looks like an approval process.  Some times the message seems to take a while, but benign messages seem to have this happen as often as controversial messages.  Eric does sometimes ask us to curtail a thread, but it seems to me that it is always when the thread is getting too long and tedious rather than when the discussion is controversial.  I think the delays are just part of the internet, and particularly a part of sometimes inadequate server power at Yahoo.  I notice the delays on other
> Yahoo services as well.
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke

Re: Fw: Moderation

Dave KQ3T
And (at least it seems to me) every now and then I'll see the reply
before I see the original message. :)

73
Dave KQ3T

On 4/28/2012 11:00 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Every so often most of us notice a huge delay in seeing posts appear. AFAIK
> it has nothing to do with it being "approved" but has everything to do with
> the flow of messages being handled by several servers that must constantly
> update each other with the new messages. A glitch in that updating process
> can result in an unusual delay.
>
> At the other extreme, on rare occasions that updating process duplicates
> messages so we see a post appear more than once.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: Fw: Moderation

Cookie
That is news to me, but I'm confident that Eric knows.  I suppose that I have believed that Yahoo Groups was involved because the Elecraft messages come to me the same way that Yahoo Groups do and the Yahoo server slowing down affects me because I use Yahoo for an email server.  Those of you who use other servers are subject to the limitations of your email server instead of Yahoo.  I am not subscribed to the K3 and KX3 Yahoo Groups because I get plenty of email as it is.  I do not suspect Eric or anyone else of moderating my email, but in a recent episode of email help from Lagos I would not have objected if someone had intercepted his plea for funds.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________
This official Elecraft list is totally independent of and not connected to the Yahoo groups. Postings are not linked. The Yahoo K3 and KX3 groups were set up by others and are not moderated by us.

This list is the primary focus for Elecraft information and discussion. We do try to read the other lists when we have time, but do not do so nearly as often as we read and respond to postings on this list.

73,
Eric
Elecraft list moderator etc.
www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Apr 28, 2012, at 7:49 AM, WILLIS COOKE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A factor here is that every message gets a dual posting on Mailman.QTH.net and the Yahoo Group.  The message must go first to mailman and be processed then back to Yahoo and be processed.  I don't know how long each of these steps take but being processed by two services and passing through the internet two times is bound to take longer than one pass.  I have been a regular on Elecraft reflectors for about 5 years and I have never seen a message held up that looks like an approval process.  Some times the message seems to take a while, but benign messages seem to have this happen as often as controversial messages.  Eric does sometimes ask us to curtail a thread, but it seems to me that it is always when the thread is getting too long and tedious rather than when the discussion is controversial.  I think the delays are just part of the internet, and particularly a part of sometimes inadequate server power at Yahoo.  I notice the delays on other
> Yahoo services as well.

> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke

Re: Fw: Moderation

Phil Hystad-3
As far as I know, and I could be wrong since I have not researched this recently, Yahoo does not allow that kind of post.

If Elecraft had a Yahoo group account then all of those posts would be under the login name of Elecraft and not the individual members who posted to Elecraft.   Thus, all of the Elecraft message posts would be coming from one login account name and that would really mess things up.  Also, if this feature were supported, it would allow Elecraft members to implicitly post to the Yahoo news group (possibly without their knowledge or approval) without having been registered to that newsgroup.  This is another faulty feature if Yahoo allowed it.

73, phil, K7PEH