Fwd: Re: HEAVY KNOBS??

k6dgw
On 5/28/2012 1:54 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote: > Wasn't it Hammarlund who
had some receivers with knobs like that, including > the little spinner
handle?

The Hallicrafters SX-28 [a really great receiver for its day, not up to
the 75A4 by any means, but I used mine for years] had two spoked knobs,
for bandset and bandspread. If you are young enough not to know what
that means, contact me off the list and I'll explain it. My bandspread
knob had a crank handle. I'm sure it wasn't original, probably added by
the ham I got the receiver from. The SX-28 was also good for keeping
your desk anchored during gravity outages, it weighed close to 100 lbs
[eat your heart out, K3, "real" radios were sold by the pound then. :-)]

  If you've never seen one, look on
http://www.radioblvd.com/Pre-WWII%20Ham%20Gear.htm and scroll down near
the bottom of the page. The page is in chronological order and the -28
came out in 1940. Just below the first SX-28 is one I inherited from the
estate of Woody, W6ANX, and which I used a few times on the air. It came
with the bass reflex speaker which was in not so good shape. While I
never had any problem with gravity outages while it sat on my desk, it
took up a huge amount of space, generated a lot of heat, and after
seeing the museum in Virginia City NV, I donated it to him.

He restored it and the speaker, I've seen it, and it looks like it just
came off the display floor at Henry Radio in Los Angeles.

 > Now that Eric has reported that the K3 encoders have ball bearings
(so the  wear is spread over many points instead of just on one side of
a sleeve), I > sure that now someone do whatever it takes to see how
much weight they can > handle, Hi! >

  I can understand the desire for the weighted knobs for the K3, however
I have essentially no drag on my stock K3 "big knob" and it spins just
fine for me. With the P3 however, I don't spin so much as I tune down to
the next signal I see. I don't expect nor want a weighted knob for my K2
[weight in my pack is something I watch when in the field], and it makes
no sense at all for my KX1.

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA

Re: Fwd: Re: HEAVY KNOBS??

Vic Rosenthal
A lot of people think the SX-28 was the best looking receiver ever.

On the other hand, fine tuning on ten meters was done by raising and lowering the lid of
the cabinet.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA