Fwd: Receive Align K1 #2999

Don Baucom

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Cc: [hidden email]
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:55:52 PM
Subject: Receive Align K1 #2999

Please help...

I finished the receive section. The VFO adjust went great. I then hooked up my FT 450 D to a dummy load and lowered power to 5 watts. I can not hear the signal or anything else. I just hear static (I have a 40 meter ant connected to the K1).  When I press my finger on T2 and move it a little :the static / noise level jumps up  and I can hear a broadcast station faintly

All of the voltage checks on page 7, appendix E checkout except:.The following seem a little off on RF-U4

Per manual- Actual

Pin 6  6.6v --  5.1v

Pin 7  13.6v --  10.6v

Pin 8   6.8v--   5.95v

I am having a great time on the build but need some help

73

Don

K4YND

Re: Fwd: Receive Align K1 #2999

Don Wilhelm-4
  Don,

Compare the voltage on U4 pin 7 to your power supply output voltage, if
your input voltage is low, many of the other voltages will be lower too.

On the receive problem - Do you have the jumper across the band board J2
installed?  If not present (if the KAT1 is absent), there will be no
transmit or receive.

Since you mentioned T2, I assume the 4 band board.  I suspect you do not
have the Pre-mixer bandpass filter tuned properly.  You must tune 30
meters before 40, and similarly 15 (or 17) meters before 20.

Initially set the trimmers so the screw slots are parallel with the long
edge of the board.  The proper position will be less than 1/8 turn away
from that starting position - tune slowly.  Using  a single signal is
difficult if you cannot hear it because you must tune the K1 to the
frequency of that signal.  A broadband noise source is often easier for
initial adjustment - tune for maximum noise first, and then see if you
can hear the signal.  Connecting an antenna can often serve as a
broadband noise source due to atmospheric noise on the HF bands.

If you have an RF Probe or an oscilliscope with a 10X probe, you can use
an alternate method to tune the pre-mixer bandpass.  Monitor the RF
voltage on P1 pin 6 and adjust the trimmers for maximum RF voltage.

Once the pre-mixer bandpass is tuned, you should be able to hear a
signal on the band being adjusted.