Fwd: [qfox] RIT / split freq. tips, pse

kevinr@coho.net

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [qfox] RIT / split freq. tips, pse
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 23:01:20 -0000
From: gio.flynn <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>

Good Day All,

OK, so I've decided to try the QRP Fox Hunt. Reading over the web site, the orientation mentions using split freqs and RIT. I do have RIT on my KX1, have read the directions on how it works (physically), but how do you actually use it on the air? I know it allows you to tune around on the receiver without messing up the xmit freq., but beyond that I'm kind of confused. I'll appreciate greatly any hints.

Tnx es 73

John KK4BOB

Re: Fwd: [qfox] RIT / split freq. tips, pse

Don Wilhelm-4
If RIT has enough range, it can be used in situations where SPLIT would
normally be used.
Yes, it allows you to tune around (using the RIT knob) to hear something
away from your transmit frequency.

To use RIT (and only RIT), you would set your VFO to the frequency you
wish to transmit on and then tune away from that frequency with the RIT
knob.  A transceiver with RIT only capability is most useful in the
situation where you would call CQ and then want to tune around a bit to
see if there are crystal controlled stations near you that want to
contact you (common with many QRP transceivers).

In a Foxhunt or when chasing DX, XIT (in combination with RIT) is likely
to be more useful - you set the VFO to listen to the DX - then engage
RIT to find the station he is working - then change RIT to XIT - you
will transmit on the offset frequency and listen to the DX station.

Split is even easier - there is normally a REV function that allows you
to listen where you will transmit.  So you can listen to the DX and when
he stops sending, press REV and you will listen to the pileup - find the
station he is working and chose the frequency on which you wish to transmit.

If you have the K3 with the KRX3 option, you can hear the DX frequency
(VFO A) in one ear and the pile-up (VFO B) in the other ear (or the
reverse - just be careful which VFO you select for transmit)