Gurus

Bob McGraw
Lets get a few facts straight.

An amateur operator designated by the licensee of a station is to
be responsible for the operation of that station. Refer to §2.201 of the
FCC Rules, Emission, modulation and transmission . It is the ham that
holds the station license and the designated operator of that station
that is responsible for all emissions from that station.  This is
regardless of the brand or model of equipment being used.

Reading the manual and operating the equipment as specified by the
manufacture is absolutely mandatory for any good operator. Using
excessive levels or power is not a good candidate for a good operator
and thus leads to signal degradation.

The FCC no longer evaluates or test ham radio equipment.   Each
manufacturer submits the required documentation to the FCC for
approval.  In doing so they are attesting that the brand / model does
meet the FCC requirements.   {I have observed an instance where approval
was granted but independent measurements confirm the particular brand /
model did not meet the requirements.   In a different occasion, the
company / person performing the tests said "oh, that's good enough" when
indeed the equipment did not make the required measurement values.}

Splatter is just that, splatter.  It is not a harmonic. "A harmonic is a
wave with a frequency that is a positive integer multiple of the
frequency of the original wave, known as the fundamental frequency. The
original wave is also called the 1st harmonic, the
following harmonics are known as higher harmonics."   Thus if one
transmits a CW signal then the 2nd harmonic is 2x the fundamental
frequency.  Thus 3.562 MHz has a 2nd harmonic at 7.124 MHz.    Or if one
transmits an FT-8 signal at 735 Hz then the 2nd harmonic is 1470 Hz.

Hams do make mistakes and can often mis-adjust their radios,
deliberately, unintentionally, or unknowingly.  Advising one in a
friendly and informative means is just good practice.   I don't care how
expensive or how advanced ones station might be, operated incorrectly it
can and will cause spectral issues.   Unfortunately many new hams aren't
really technical and may not understand how and why certain things
occur.  They have to be educated in proper station set-up and
operation.   It is up to the more experienced and more knowledgeable
hams to provide this service.

Don't be mislead by what I describe as "old ham lore".   Just because
someone said bla bla bla doesn't make it correct.  One must always check
and verify to their own level of satisfaction or seek the advice of
others.   Or perhaps, just read the manual. The acronym for that is RTFM.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 6/10/2021 11:22 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 04:22:25 +0000
> From: Bill Johnson<[hidden email]>
> To: Dave<[hidden email]>,"[hidden email]"
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Gurus

> I would add, the radio operator with a license is supposed to know the requirements and operate accordingly.  This includes staying with the passband of the FCC regulations.  Just because a radio is FCC accepted, doesn't mean the operator doesn?t have responsibility to stay within the regulations.  Thus if I note you are splattering because of too much mic gain, or whatever, doesn't excuse the person from adjusting the signal or correcting the situation, regardless of the manufacturer.  It is the HAM's station creating the issue that is legally needing to correct it.  Don't be offended, fix it.  I have had issues with my own Elecraft radio with a circuit failure... what did I do? I fixed it.
>
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Gurus

Bill Frantz
On 6/10/21 at 1:29 PM, [hidden email] (Bob McGraw) wrote:

> The acronym for that is RTFM.

Which a tech writer I worked with insisted expanded to Read The Fine Manual.

73 Bill AE6JV

Message delivered to [hidden email]