Ham Radio Deluxe TOR vs RTTY

Cady, Fred
Question for HRD experts. When operating RTTY with the K3 (FSK D) and
using HRD for the logging program, HRD puts TOR in the mode slot in the
Add logbook entry window. Have to go into the log and modify the mode to
change it to RTTY. Is there a way to fix that in HRD?
Thanks,
Happy New Year all,
Fred
KE7X

Fred Cady
fcady at ieee dot org

Re: Ham Radio Deluxe TOR vs RTTY

Simon (HB9DRV)
Hi,

Yes - you can change the mode, also you can stop HRD from automatically
filling in the mode.

To edit the log either double-click on an entry *or* use the Bulk Edit
option.

Simon Brown, HB9DRV
www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

Two K3s as Carry-on Luggage

Ed Muns, W0YK
I had two K3s and three laptops, plus all the cables, trackballs, etc. in my
carry-on luggage.  Rose Kopp put some mods on the two K3 cases she made for
me so they could be attached to one another and carried with one strap so
the airline folks count it as "one" piece.  My other carry-on luggage piece
is a roll-about computer bag.  I tried running the dual K3 bag through the
security X-ray machine and it overloaded the operator.  So, we had to run
each K3 through by itself.  But when done individually, I've never had them
ask about it.  Most of the X-ray ops ID a K3 as a slide projector, which is
fine with me.

Ed - P49X (W0YK)

Re: Two K3s as Carry-on Luggage

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Ed W0YK wrote:
>  Most of the X-ray ops ID a K3 as a slide projector, which is
> fine with me.
>
> Ed - P49X (W0YK)

One thoroughly inspected my KX1 and K2 at SFO, then as he was packing it
back up, said, "Good DX."

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: Two K3s as Carry-on Luggage

Jeff Kinzli N6GQ
On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 17:58, Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ed W0YK wrote:
>>
>>  Most of the X-ray ops ID a K3 as a slide projector, which is
>> fine with me.
>>
>> Ed - P49X (W0YK)
>>

> One thoroughly inspected my KX1 and K2 at SFO, then as he was packing it
> back up, said, "Good DX."

I've taken my K3 as carry-on through numerous airports, without fail,
it always gets looked at, swabbed, and then they let me go...I guess I
have the thug look or something.

Jeff N6GQ

RE: Two K3s as Carry-on Luggage

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: K3 in Carry-on Luggage

Roy Davis
I went to Bonaire NA and participated with the PJ4E Group in the 2008
CQWWSSB Contest.  I took my K3 and accessories in a hard-shell "Porter"
brand carry-on case.  This is a excellent case, has wheels and handle for
pulling along, and it will fold down to accommodate other cases to be on top
as you pull it along.  Great for having to go from one end of the airport to
another for your gate.  I beforehand took it to a place who foamed to fit
all pieces in the case.

I found not too much difference in the US airports than the airports in the
Caribbean.  Some asked what it was, some had enough experience to know or
ask if it was Ham Radio equip.  It was dusted once on return to Miami.  I
was told that was because I failed to place it in a rubber tub alone that
time.  Go figure.  However, the airport security people in all cases were
polite.  The biggest hassle for me was to unload all the gear into the
separate tubs, and as well my personal items, trying not to hold up the line
behind me.  But the way the world is now, it is a necessary thing in order
to protect us.

My K3 performed magnificently in the contest.

Roy Davis - WK4Y
K3 #1366

> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 17:58, Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ed W0YK wrote:
>>>
>>>  Most of the X-ray ops ID a K3 as a slide projector, which is
>>> fine with me.
>>>
>>> Ed - P49X (W0YK)
>>>

>> One thoroughly inspected my KX1 and K2 at SFO, then as he was packing it
>> back up, said, "Good DX."
>
> I've taken my K3 as carry-on through numerous airports, without fail,
> it always gets looked at, swabbed, and then they let me go...I guess I
> have the thug look or something.
>
> Jeff N6GQ

5:01 PM

Re: K3 in Carry-on Luggage

M0XDF
So, some thoughts please. If I take my K3 in carry-on, should I remove
it from the carry on and place in a tray and explain what it is?

Going from England (Gatwick) to France (Toulouse) just before xmas, it
took my family 1 hour to get through security - they were checking
everything - take of boots with high heels, belts of any kind, close
search after you'd gone though the scanner, checking bags the lot.

Coming out of France was much the same, except no queue.
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not.
Why

On 2 Jan 2009, at 11:13, Roy Davis wrote:

> I went to Bonaire NA and participated with the PJ4E Group in the
> 2008 CQWWSSB Contest.  I took my K3 and accessories in a hard-shell
> "Porter" brand carry-on case.  This is a excellent case, has wheels
> and handle for pulling along, and it will fold down to accommodate
> other cases to be on top as you pull it along.  Great for having to
> go from one end of the airport to another for your gate.  I
> beforehand took it to a place who foamed to fit all pieces in the
> case.
>
> I found not too much difference in the US airports than the airports
> in the Caribbean.  Some asked what it was, some had enough
> experience to know or ask if it was Ham Radio equip.  It was dusted
> once on return to Miami.  I was told that was because I failed to
> place it in a rubber tub alone that time.  Go figure.  However, the
> airport security people in all cases were polite.  The biggest
> hassle for me was to unload all the gear into the separate tubs, and
> as well my personal items, trying not to hold up the line behind
> me.  But the way the world is now, it is a necessary thing in order
> to protect us.
>
> My K3 performed magnificently in the contest.
>
> Roy Davis - WK4Y
> K3 #1366

Re: K3 in Carry-on Luggage

Ed K1EP
I travelled internationally with my K3 back in 2007 as carryon.  I
had the K3, power supply and some cables in a case that fit under the
seat.  No questions asked, nothing removed or demonstrated.  I have
also travelled internationally with my KX1, no questions asked.  Just
remove the batteries as I think that there is some restriction on
carryon batteries or something like that.  Plus, you don't want it to
go on accidentally.

At 1/2/2009 06:54 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:

>So, some thoughts please. If I take my K3 in carry-on, should I remove
>it from the carry on and place in a tray and explain what it is?
>
>Going from England (Gatwick) to France (Toulouse) just before xmas, it
>took my family 1 hour to get through security - they were checking
>everything - take of boots with high heels, belts of any kind, close
>search after you'd gone though the scanner, checking bags the lot.
>
>Coming out of France was much the same, except no queue.
>73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
>--
>Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not.
>Why
>should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?
>-Epicurus, philosopher (c. 341-270 BCE)
>
>On 2 Jan 2009, at 11:13, Roy Davis wrote:
>
>>I went to Bonaire NA and participated with the PJ4E Group in the
>>2008 CQWWSSB Contest.  I took my K3 and accessories in a hard-shell
>>"Porter" brand carry-on case.  This is a excellent case, has wheels
>>and handle for pulling along, and it will fold down to accommodate
>>other cases to be on top as you pull it along.  Great for having to
>>go from one end of the airport to another for your gate.  I
>>beforehand took it to a place who foamed to fit all pieces in the
>>case.
>>
>>I found not too much difference in the US airports than the airports
>>in the Caribbean.  Some asked what it was, some had enough
>>experience to know or ask if it was Ham Radio equip.  It was dusted
>>once on return to Miami.  I was told that was because I failed to
>>place it in a rubber tub alone that time.  Go figure.  However, the
>>airport security people in all cases were polite.  The biggest
>>hassle for me was to unload all the gear into the separate tubs, and
>>as well my personal items, trying not to hold up the line behind
>>me.  But the way the world is now, it is a necessary thing in order
>>to protect us.
>>
>>My K3 performed magnificently in the contest.
>>
>>Roy Davis - WK4Y
>>K3 #1366

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K3 in Carry-on Luggage

M0XDF
Thanks all for the responses- pretty much as I thought. I can see me
doing something to fit out my STD carry on bag so I can carry the K3,
it's (small) SMPSU and a few other bits and pieces and figure out how
to make that easy to unpack etc.
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice;
nothing

On 2 Jan 2009, at 13:04, Robert Naumann wrote:

> David,
>
> The short answer is: yes.
>
> Anything electronic should be taken out and placed into a tray -
> alone - so
> they can see and not fear it. They don't care that it is a ham radio
> - it
> could be a piece of test equipment for all they know. As long as you
> let
> them see it and send it through the scanner uncovered, all should be
> well.
> They might want to swab it, but that only slows you down for a
> minute or
> two. Be patient and calm throughout the ordeal.
>
> I have travelled all over with my Kenwood TS850, Icom 756 ProIII and
> soon to
> be K3 and have never had any problems by doing this - all since
> 9/11. Take
> the user manual with you in your carry on in case they ask for proof
> of what
> it is.
>
> I brought my Acom 2000A amplifier to Antigua a few years ago and I
> carried
> the power transformer in a bowling ball bag. The amp was in its
> shipping
> carton as checked baggage. Miami airport security did not want me to
> carry-on the transformer and insisted that I had to check it. I was
> persistent, and they finally let me take it on board after
> explaining to a
> supervisor what it was and why it was removed from the rest of the
> amplifier
> by showing the manual and photos of the whole thing.
>
> Every airport I have been through since 9/11 has required the
> removal of
> shoes - I think this followed the one guy who got caught with some
> explosive
> in his shoes shortly after 9/11.
>
> 73,
>
> Bob W5OV / V26O

K3 in Carry-on Luggage

Ken Kopp-3
Hello David, others ....

There have been several who have purchased one of Rose's
K2 or K3 bags that do place them inside other baggage.
There is a Pelican case that is almost a perfect fit for a K3
in it's bag.

Her first carry case was made specifically to fit inside another
piece of carry-on luggage and there were no straps or handles
on it.

73! Ken
      [hidden email]

Re: K3 in Carry-on Luggage

Andy Faber
David,
  I've taken my K3 to Aruba several times. I put it in my backpack cushioned
with bubble wrap and maybe a towel or some clothing.  I just put the
backpack on the conveyor belt to start with.  I sometimes have to remove it
for separate handling (only at SFO) and sometimes not.  But no one has ever
asked any questions about it or thought it to be suspicious.
  73, andy, ae6y