Happy But Very Sad

Re: Happy But Very Sad

N0AZZ
Wayne:

Excellent point that is the main reason that I chose my Elecraft portability
and 12v operation and a replacement for my QRP rig an IC-703 Plus In
addition to in the shack with my microHAM microKEYER for running JT65HF.

I do use Class A mode with my 5000 to drive a Yaesu VL-1000 amp 1kw 6-160m
with 45w of drive. The 5000 is not a plug and play radio it has a learning
curve and one of the first is the audio setup which takes time and differs
with mic's and your voice using the 3 band eq. There are many who never
quite learn to do this correctly.

73,

Fred/N0AZZ

Re: Happy But Very Sad

vk4tux
Despite the 120w reference, the poster refers to power levels at 100w
and lower in both his comparisons. My experience was exactly the same.
My post was refering to the 5000 -  K3 comparison.

On 22/06/2012 22:51, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> That's a pretty old posting, Adrian. We long ago restricted max power
> to 110 W in firmware, and the radio is specified at 100 W. Using the
> recommended supply voltage (14 V) at the recommended power level (100
> W) there should be no difference between the K3 and other nominal-12 V
> transceivers.
>
> Note that the difference between 110 and 100 W is only 0.4 dB, so I
> suggest sticking with 100 W.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Jun 22, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Adrian wrote:
>
>> Also see
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@.../msg70785.html

Re: Happy But Very Sad

vk4tux

On 22/06/2012 23:47, Paul VanOveren wrote:
> You read one bad review on Eham and make that kind of statement.

Who said I read one review?That wasnt a review, it was a comment. I read
hundreds of comments and have heard many on-air reports, and have gone
through the process myself that the usual k3 setup IMD3 results around
the -26 to -27 dB mark at 13.8v in with standard supplied power cable.
> ." .Out in the real world the K3 has a bad rep for splatter and imd3
> pro"     I have K3 # 758,  now over 4 yrs old, and have run it at 100
> watts (as recommended) barefoot, into a Alpha 76 PA @ 50 watts and now
> into a Elecraft KPA 500 with 25-30 watts.  After more than 5500 qsos
> over the 4 yrs, ragchewing, chasing dx and contesting, I have had the
> following numbers of bad audio, splattering or key clicks reports,  0
> , zero, nata, none, zlich.

Thats what I would expect, so what? The 100w numbers needed to get
better, and do with 15v in with a custom heavy cable. We did that, not
because it was good fun, but from necessity.

>      IMHO, to make a statement like that (without any documentation)
> is reckless and unwarranted. I have heard many reports from owners and
> others, about the FT5000 re: key clicks, splattering, etc, but
> certainly would not go on the Yeasu  reflector and spread such stuff
> around.

I documented it for you here. You try to compare your Alpha 76 low drive
level situation to those driving 3-500z pairs @ 100w ? It's a different
deal.

The guys out there should try googling a bit and check out the amplifier
forums. I stand by what I said, and said it to provide help to the K3
owners out there that like to improve their imd3. From someone that has
first hand gone through the process.

Re: Happy But Very Sad

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Gentlemen,

Please take personal attacks and heated arguments off list. Its Ok to discuss technical features, specs, test data etc, but please keep it civil.

If this thread degenerates further I will be forced to close it.

73,
Eric
Elecraft List Moderator
www.elecraft.com
_..._

Re: Happy But Very Sad

w0mu
Where is the data to back up what was said on eham.  It was one guy!

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com

On 6/22/2012 3:48 PM, Adrian wrote:

> K3 a superior transmitter in imd product results? Your kidding right?
> Out in the real world the K3 has a bad rep for splatter and imd3 product.
> See;
>
> http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,75182.0.html
>
> Those of us with K3's running 15v PS with heavy cable inputs, driving clean
> amps escape the wrath of the imd police.
> The 5000 is way better esp in class A operation.
>

>> A fully-loaded K3 is about $4900, and that assumes 8 pole filters in all
> slots in both receivers. A fully loaded FT-5000 is $5600. The FT-5000
> exceeds the K3's >receiver performance in one category, and trails the K3 in
> every other RX performance category. The K3 also has a superior transmitter,
> as evidenced by the >IMD numbers in ARRL test results and elsewhere.
>
>> 73,
>> Scott, N9AA

Re: Happy But Very Sad

Bruce McLaughlin-2
I am very fortunate in that I have both a K3 and an FT 5000 MP.  Both radios
have their strong points and some weak points.  But frankly I have never had
a report of either splatter or key clicks from the K3.  I run it with an
amplifier at which time the K3 output is around 20 to 30 W.  When I use it
barefoot at 100 W it also seems very clean with no adverse reports.  The FT
5000 certainly has a fine main receiver but the secondary receiver is not as
good since it does not use the front end roofing filters.  That is in
contrast to the K3 whose secondary receiver is identical in performance to
the main receiver.  As for as I know, that is the only radio that offers
that feature.  Also, the K3 weighs only about 8 pounds as contrasted with 55
pounds for the FT 5000.  Obviously, I will not be doing much traveling with
the FT 5000.  Someone mentioned what they perceived as inferior feel to the
vfo on the K3.  Again I must dispute that.  It feels quite adequate to me.
The FT 5000 vfo is very smooth but is also much more complex in its
construction.  It is also much easier to change the tuning rate on the K3 as
compared to the FT 5000 where one must go into the menu system to do that.
The K3 requires only a push of a button or two.  I really think it is
pointless to endlessly argue the finer points of either radio.  They will
appeal to different folks for different purposes.  I think we are very
fortunate to have them both available.  Of course, Elecraft wins hands down
for customer support.  No one does that better than Elecraft.

Bruce-W8FU

Re: Reviews [was Happy But Very Sad ... which never made sense to me]

k6dgw
On 6/23/2012 9:29 AM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
> Where is the data to back up what was said on eham.  It was one guy!

Roger that.  We had a cheapie wireless router that might make it across
the room on a good day.  I asked on the NCCC list for recommendations
for one that might cover the house, or at least the first floor.
Several folks, all of whose info and opinion I respect, recommended a
particular brand which I'll leave out since it isn't relevant.

Reading the reviews on Amazon, there seemed to be two opposite poles.
About 2/3 of the reviewers [there were 35-40 reviews total] gave it at
least 4 stars, a number gave it 5, and had glowing words about how easy
it was to set up, took them just a couple of minutes, and they can hear
it on the moon.

The other 1/3 gave it one star [or none], said it incredibly hard to set
up, the control software was a disaster, they had to learn all about
IP-tables, and the signal didn't make it out of the house.

Trusting my friends, I purchased it.  Don't know about the moon, but it
covers the house, Andrea can now download books onto her Kindle in the
living room at the speed of light.  I walked around outside some with my
smartypants fone and I get moderately good signals maybe 100-150' from
the house.  It took me longer to unpack it than it did to get it
working, the software worked just fine, there were no IP tables
[whatever they are], and everything wireless in the house, including the
DirecTV HD DVR is happily connected.  For all I know, the microwave
might be too. :-)

Had a similar experience on eHam with a GAP antenna.  I finally bought
it.  Everything was/is just fine, it works great, and now I just need
the KAT500 and I can have all my coax connected at the same time.  So
far as I can tell, all these reviews are just data.  No information,
just words and you never know the circumstances surrounding them.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: Reviews [was Happy But Very Sad ... which never made sense to me]

Nate Bargmann
Suffice it to say, Fred, I am convinced there are people out there who
can break an anvil with a rubber mallet!

OTOH, on sites like Amazon or other reviews I do wonder how much is
astroturfing from competitors.  I would hope that sort of thing is
non-existent on eHam and related sites.  Still, every manufacturer drops
a lemon now and then and to the recipient, a sour taste lingers long
particularly if the problem is not resolved.  Excellent customer
service goes far to overcome that, yet my experience with two Elecraft
products and three orders is that they've done it right the first time
for me.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: Happy But Very Sad

Jim Low man
One of the members of the Zuni Loop QRP Field Day has brought his K3
for the past two years that I recall.  Count was three K2s, one K3, one KX3,
an Argonaut V and my K2 that I brought as backup.

In the past I would have worried about bringing a personal transceiver
worth that much to any location outside of the house, but now I'm
thinking otherwise, inasmuch as many DXpeditions feature K3s.

Power for this QRP K3 was a 100-Ah battery that took two guys to carry
to the 20m tent.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 6/22/2012 10:48 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> Another nice thing about the K3 is that you can take it to Field Day.
> (10 pounds vs. 50 pounds, and 1 amp receive current drain vs. 3 or 4
> amps :)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: Happy But Very Sad

Elecraft K3
Not to mention that the footprint is considerably smaller on the K3 -- a serious blessing on cramped folding tables of Field Day.

In fact the small footprint sealed the deal for me on my K3.  My whole house is only 720 square feet and every square
inch of desk space is precious in my shack.  Those leviathan rigs are impressive but something else would have to go.

For its size and weight (and base price), the K3 is truly miraculous.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jun 22, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Bill K9YEQ wrote:

> Exactly... or take the KX3, even lighter... or take both and share :-)
>
> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Re: Happy But Very Sad

AF6NI
My experience is that my K2 and K1 both hear better on CW than my TS2000.
Enjoy the K2. I have one I purchased used, but am getting the itch to build my own!
73
Joe
12