Happy Holiday Greetings

Don Wilhelm-3
Hi,

I want to say Merry Christmas to all my friends here on the reflector who do
observe Christmas.  For all those who do not, I wish you a very Happy
Holiday season.

Life is what happens when you are making other plans

RE: Happy Holiday Greetings

N2TK
Don, thanks for all the help you gave many of us throughout the year. We do
appreciate it.
Merry Christmas. Now to go see what Santa brought me. Hoping for some Ham
goodies.
N2TK, Tony

k2/100 problem-help

k6xr
k2/100 and kat100 all working great on all bands at all power levels for
months. Then two days ago I could not get the kat100 to hold swr after
tuning. It goes all over the place causing power supply,and the  k2 to shut
down along with hi-reflec and hi-current.

This occurs only on 40 meters. There is no problem on any other band or
frequency. Now comes the strange part. If I pull the kpa100 dc cord, I can
run the qrp and kat100 at 15.2 watts on all bands all frequencies with no
problems forever! But if I connect up the dc cable, the problem starts at 14
watts and the kat/k2 go crazy on 40 meters.

I have tried 3 different power supplies in different locations 6 feet or
more from rig.
Changed or checked out  all coax jumpers, Balun, ladder line, and antenna
and ground.

I can hook the k2 to my mfj-993 auto-tuner and there is no problem, it all
tunes fine with the kpa100..
I can manually tune with no problems with the kap100 powered up as well.

Is it possible to have a problem with just 40 meters  on the kat100?  H s
anyone else ever experienced this?

By the way, I have a ts-570 coax switched into this same antenna setup and
no problems with the switches or coax or antenna or it's parts.

Help!

Reggie k6xr
k2/100 4112

-

Re: k2/100 problem-help

Don Wilhelm-3
Reggie,

Check the power cord and the Anderson Power Pole connector at the KPA100 end
carefully.  If the K2 is shutting down, it is quite likely that there is a
bad connection somewhere in the power supply cord and components.

> k2/100 and kat100 all working great on all bands at all power levels for
> months. Then two days ago I could not get the kat100 to hold swr after
> tuning. It goes all over the place causing power supply,and the  k2 to
> shut
> down along with hi-reflec and hi-current.
>
> This occurs only on 40 meters. There is no problem on any other band or
> frequency. Now comes the strange part. If I pull the kpa100 dc cord, I can
> run the qrp and kat100 at 15.2 watts on all bands all frequencies with no
> problems forever! But if I connect up the dc cable, the problem starts at
> 14
> watts and the kat/k2 go crazy on 40 meters.
>
> I have tried 3 different power supplies in different locations 6 feet or
> more from rig.
> Changed or checked out  all coax jumpers, Balun, ladder line, and antenna
> and ground.
>
> I can hook the k2 to my mfj-993 auto-tuner and there is no problem, it all
> tunes fine with the kpa100..
> I can manually tune with no problems with the kap100 powered up as well.
>
> Is it possible to have a problem with just 40 meters  on the kat100?  H s
> anyone else ever experienced this?
>
> By the way, I have a ts-570 coax switched into this same antenna setup and
> no problems with the switches or coax or antenna or it's parts.

RE: k2/100 problem-help

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Don, W3FPR wrote:
Check the power cord and the Anderson Power Pole connector at the KPA100 end

carefully.  If the K2 is shutting down, it is quite likely that there is a
bad connection somewhere in the power supply cord and components.

-----------------------------
And be sure to check the in-line fuse in the KPA100 power lead down near the
power supply (normally). A bad connection at one of the pressure contacts
against the fuse, or a bad fuse with a partial break can show full voltage
at the KPA100 until it tries to draw current.

Ron AC7AC

RE: k2/100 problem-help

Rich Lentz
If you are using a non-resonant antenna try lengthen (shortening) the
antenna lead in. Add a length of coax and see what happens.  You could have
an unloadable length of line.

>>  This occurs only on 40 meters. There is no problem on any other band or
frequency.

Rich,
KE0X