Help with distorted transmit audio

Mike Scott-7
Today using SSB on 40M my K3 came up with pinched audio, the other operator
asked me to take the "clothes pin" off my nose. Full (and good) audio was
obtained with a power cycle. I was told that signal strength came up
significantly after the power cycle.

I have posted this issue four times now. The problem doesn't surface
everyday. I had thought my problem had something to do with HRD or use of
the Elecraft K3 utility as in the past these had been used before the
condition arose. But today I started the rig in the morning after a longish
shutdown while I attended Pacificon. I did not use HRD or the download
facility this morning so I no longer think that using those programs is
involved with my this problem.

The audio sounded like all highs in the monitor headset. The usual suspects
have been looked at like the Tx equalizer and filter set up, that's what
everyone has said to look at every time in the past. One and only one action
is performed to bring the audio back to full and that is cycling power. I
believe this fact rules out most set up issues.

I suspect a firmware bug but it seems strange that I am the only target.
Pinched audio could mean that the SSB signal isn't centered properly in the
pass band of the 2.7 KHz Xtal filter, the rig is trying to transmit through
the 500 Hz filter or the DSP is improperly initialized. Is there a relay
contact that could be intermittent that could cause these symptoms, like one
that switches in the 2.7 KHz filter?

I have seen the same audio distortion using front and back microphone
connectors and with two different microphones, one electret with bias the
other dynamic without bias. Both microphone setups will get good audio
reports after a power cycle.

I run 13.8V from a 35 amp linear Astron power supply. Voltage drops to 13.1V
with 100W key down so I don't think there is a marginal power supply
condition. I have 13 KHz, 6 KHz, 2.7 KHz, and 500 Hz filters. SSB is only
enabled on the 2.7 KHz filter.

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311

Re: Help with distorted transmit audio

Dick Housden, W0NTA

Mike Scott-7 wrote
Today using SSB on 40M my K3 came up with pinched audio, the other operator
asked me to take the "clothes pin" off my nose. Full (and good) audio was
obtained with a power cycle. I was told that signal strength came up
significantly after the power cycle.

Scott,

I experienced this problem one time. Your description of "pinched" audio is exactly what the other station told me. It was just after I installed a new firmware upgrade, but I don't remember which one. Another new update was available and I installed it. I have not had the problem again. I would suggest downloading the current firmware version and try again.

73, Dick, W0NTA
Gree;ey, CO

Re: Help with distorted transmit audio

N9SZ
I experienced this pinched audio problem this weekend. Using the current beta firmware, I noted severely pinched transmit audio (using the transmit monitor). It occurred on some bands but not all, and was present sometimes on only one of the sidebands (i.e., when switching sidebands the audio pinching was gone, and returned when switched to the original sideband).

The problem disappeared upon reboot.

Steve N9SZ

Dick Housden, W0NTA wrote
Mike Scott-7 wrote
Today using SSB on 40M my K3 came up with pinched audio, the other operator
asked me to take the "clothes pin" off my nose. Full (and good) audio was
obtained with a power cycle. I was told that signal strength came up
significantly after the power cycle.

Scott,

I experienced this problem one time. Your description of "pinched" audio is exactly what the other station told me. It was just after I installed a new firmware upgrade, but I don't remember which one. Another new update was available and I installed it. I have not had the problem again. I would suggest downloading the current firmware version and try again.

73, Dick, W0NTA
Gree;ey, CO

Re: Help with distorted transmit audio

Mike Scott-7

>I experienced this pinched audio problem this weekend. Using the current

>beta firmware, I noted severely pinched transmit audio (using the transmit

>monitor). It occurred on some bands but not all, and was present sometimes

>on only one of the sidebands (i.e., when switching sidebands the audio

>pinching was gone, and returned when switched to the original sideband).

>The problem disappeared upon reboot.

>Steve N9SZ

Steve,

I have had the same problem multiple times; I am glad to hear someone else has the same problem. People I am talking to say to take the clothespin off of my nose. In the transmit monitor I can hear thin audio. My problem is that I don’t know how to replicate the distorted audio problem. A power off reset fixes it every time when it shows up. I have been experiencing this problem over many firmware downloads. I suspect there is a root problem that is rare that stems back to the original firmware. I have serial number 508 if that helps.

I have engaged Elecraft help [Gary] but I am waiting for the next instance of the problem. I don’t operate SSB very often so it may be a while before it happens again. For the record Lyle asked that next time it happens to change frequency or change transmit audio equalization to force a new set up of transmit audio chain. Since I received these instructions nothing has happened on my end so I am still waiting.

The fact that you are changing bands and the problem stays is an important input. Please keep reporting this issue and I will too when it happens again.

Mike Scott

AE6WA Tarzana, CA

K3/100 SN508

Re: Help with distorted transmit audio

wayne burdick
Mike,

I tried hard to reproduce this -- no luck. Must be extremely rare.

Were you using diversity mode and/or SPLIT?

What crystal filter and DSP bandwidths were in effect?

Which controls might you have been moving at the time?

Thanks,
Wayne
N6KR

---