Home and hopefully OK now

Jim Sheldon
Just got home from the hospital where I had a heart pacemaker implanted.  Had been feeling weak and had a very slow heartbeat for a bit over a week when I finally decided that "discretion being the better part of valor", I'd get myself into the Emergency Room last Friday night.  Less than 10 minutes after I arrived there, I found myself admitted to the Cardiac Care Unit where they kept me under observation for a couple days, finally deciding a permanent pacemaker was needed.

After all the tests they did, they determined much to my pleasant surprise that I had NOT had a heart attack and there was no evidence of ever having had one.

The cardiologist said they were going to do the operation on Monday at 8:00 a.m. but he was able to get an operating suite earlier and they did the implant at 6:33 that morning.  Judy had been told they were going at 8 and they forgot to notify her about the earlier time, so I was already back in the room by the time she got there.

Let me tell you that was the best medical fix I've ever been through.  Heart is back on track with a nice steady 80 bpm beat now, blood pressure is back to normal and I can walk more than 100 feet without becoming exhausted.  Real wake-up call, let me tell you.

My cardiologist is an Indian gentleman by the name of Ravi Bajaj and according to all the doctors and nurses I know in Wichita, he's the best of the best around here.  He even speaks better English than I do.

I'm home, feeling really well, but I'm grounded for at least a week.  Can't drive until my initial follow-up with Bajaj next Thursday.

This hospital has gone through some very nice changes since the terrible care Judy had back in January.  Almost lost her to some serious indifference and incompetence.

The level of care I received was absolutely outstanding.  Had a number of different nurses and they were all very competent and pleasant to have around.  Got chewed out royally by the Charge Nurse in the CCU the night I was admitted when I told them I drove myself to the ER.  Hey, I had no idea I was that close to losing it and even with the slow heartbeat I was awake, had good motor skills and my reaction time (they tested it) was as good as it had ever been.  Nurse kept yelling at me -- NEXT TIME 911, NEXT TIME 911!!!!! --  Gonna take me a few years to live that one down - LOL.

Anyway, for those who knew I was in the hospital and why, I'm home now and doing a heck of a lot better.  For those who didn't know, I apologize for not letting you know but there simply wasn't time to get emails out and even less time for phone calls.

Thanks all,

Jim Sheldon