Hooking up k3,p3 and kpa500?

tomb18
I have looked through the manuals and have not seen how one hooks up all three together using the serial ports.  How is this done?
Thanks, Tom
VA2FSQ

Re: Hooking up k3,p3 and kpa500?

Jack Brindle-2
You do not diasy-chain the KPA500 with the other members of the K-Line. While the K3 and P3 are indeed daisy-chained, the KPA500 is not. You need to connect it to a separate serial port on your computer if you wish to remote control or download new serial code to it.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

On Oct 9, 2011, at 8:02 PM, tomb18 wrote:

> I have looked through the manuals and have not seen how one hooks up all
> three together using the serial ports.  How is this done?
> Thanks, Tom
> VA2FSQ

Re: Hooking up k3,p3 and kpa500?

Dick Dievendorff
You don't connect the K3, P3 and KPA500 with serial ports.

The P3 connects to the K3's serial port.  Your computer connects to the K3.
This shown on Page 3 of the P3 Owner's manual.

The K3 can connect to the KPA500  in  a couple of ways. You'll need a PL-259
jumper for the RF connection.  For the amplifier key line you can use a
cable with an RCA connector on each end, as shown on page 20 of the KPA500
owner's manual.

Or you can use a 15-pin ACC cable from the K3's ACC connector to the
KPA500's ACC connector.  This provides additional functionality; the
amplifier can follow K3 band changes without transmitting, the K3 can follow
amplifier band switch select, and the K3 can change its output power
depending on whether the amplifier is in "operate" mode.   This is shown on
page 21 of the KPA500 owner's manual.

The KPA Utility uses a serial port connection to the KPA500 for firmware
installation, configuration save/restore, and remote operation, but it's a
different serial port connection than you'd use for the K3 / P3.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: Hooking up k3,p3 and kpa500?

Anndel
Correction, the diagram is on Page 13 of the P3 manual.  The K3 connects to
the P3 with the RS232 connection (XCVR) and the computer connects to the PC
port on the P3.

73 Delwyn KH6DC

Re: Hooking up k3,p3 and kpa500?

Dick Dievendorff
Yup.  I even got the page # reference wrong.

I should stop answering questions!  Obviously I'm not competent, at least
today!

It's been a long day.  I've been assembling a 40 Meter 2-element W6NL Moxon.
My hands are tired from being scrubbed after gooping them up with Penetrox
and Permatex Anti-Sieze.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: Hooking up k3,p3 and kpa500?

Tom,

You will need 2 serial ports if all are to be connected at the same
time.  The K3 and the P3 setup is integrated, connect the P3 to the K3
with a serial cable and connect the PC to the P3.

The KPA500 needs a separate serial port (or the same serial port used
for the K3/P3 when it is not in use).
The KPA500 serial connection is only used for firmware downloads and
setup, so it does not need to be connected all the time.

On 10/9/2011 11:02 PM, tomb18 wrote:
> I have looked through the manuals and have not seen how one hooks up all
> three together using the serial ports.  How is this done?
> Thanks, Tom
> VA2FSQ

Re: Hooking up k3,p3 and kpa500?

David Windisch
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Brgds,
Dave, N3HE
Cincinnati OH

Re: Hooking up k3,p3 and kpa500?

tomb18
Thanks for clarifying this.  I just got the amp today!  Off to start building!
Then again, just when I thought I needed an amp to bust those pileups, 10m was hopping with Japan stations all over the place on 10 meters.  No amp needed!
I'll save it for the ZL's.