How difficult is it to install the FM filter ofr K3 with ...

How difficult is it to install the FM filter ofr K3 with ...

mike
I have a K3 with the 2 meter module and second receiver installed. I recently acquired a FM filter and am wondering how difficult it would be to install it. Mostly I guess I am looking for an idea on what steps I need to perform and in what order. I installed the second receiver some time ago after installing the 2 meter module and remember it was quite involved. Before I attempt to add the FM filter I want to make sure I am up to the challenge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  73  ..mike  AI6II

Re: How difficult is it to install the FM filter ofr K3 with ...

Nr4c
Well, the FM filter for the main receiver is mounted on the main RF board.  So the 2Meter module must come out, and the sub-receiver, and of course the top and front bottom panel,  I also think it is easier to re-install the sub-receiver if you remove the left side panel (with handle).

…bill nr4c

> On Jul 19, 2016, at 3:50 PM, mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a K3 with the 2 meter module and second receiver installed. I recently
> acquired a FM filter and am wondering how difficult it would be to install
> it. Mostly I guess I am looking for an idea on what steps I need to perform
> and in what order. I installed the second receiver some time ago after
> installing the 2 meter module and remember it was quite involved. Before I
> attempt to add the FM filter I want to make sure I am up to the challenge.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  73  ..mike  AI6II

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: How difficult is it to install the FM filter ofr K3 with ...

Don Wilhelm
Mike,

Not a big problem, but you do have some mechanical work to do.

Remove the 2 meter option and the KRX3.
That will expose the filters for the main receiver.
The 13kHz filter should go into the FL1 slot - that means you may have
to move and reconfigure all the other filters installed in your K3.

Other than having to remove the K144XV and the KRX3 options to
physically get at the main RX filters, you should have no problem when
you re-install the KRX3 and the K144XV.

Keeping your mind straight about which filters are plugged into which
slots and transferring that information into the CONFIG menu is the
hardest part of the chore.

On 7/19/2016 3:50 PM, mike wrote:

> I have a K3 with the 2 meter module and second receiver installed. I recently
> acquired a FM filter and am wondering how difficult it would be to install
> it. Mostly I guess I am looking for an idea on what steps I need to perform
> and in what order. I installed the second receiver some time ago after
> installing the 2 meter module and remember it was quite involved. Before I
> attempt to add the FM filter I want to make sure I am up to the challenge.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  73  ..mike  AI6II

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: How difficult is it to install the FM filter ofr K3 with ...

mike
Okay Don, just ti make sure I understand about the filters. I currently have three matched filters in both the main and subreceiver. I would insert the FM filter in FL1 of the main and slide the other three down. Then I would need to leave the FL1 blank on the subreceiver and slide the three existing ones down as I did in the main receiver, right? I then would need to reconfigure the FW definitions for all the filters.

Actually I don't really use the 2 meter module at all at my qth. I do have a second K3 that I have up for sale, so maybe I will install the 2 meter module and the FM filter in it instead. It doesn't have a second receiver so the installation would be much easier.  Hmmmmm.

Thanks  73  ..mike  AI6II

Re: How difficult is it to install the FM filter ofr K3 with ...

Don Wilhelm
Mike,

You technically don't have to move the filters in the KRX3, but it just
makes more sense to me to have them match.

Yes, if you do not have the K144XV in your K3, then there is no real
sense in installing the 13kHz filter (unless you want to do AM transmit
with that filter).

On 7/20/2016 9:59 PM, mike wrote:

> Okay Don, just ti make sure I understand about the filters. I currently have
> three matched filters in both the main and subreceiver. I would insert the
> FM filter in FL1 of the main and slide the other three down. Then I would
> need to leave the FL1 blank on the subreceiver and slide the three existing
> ones down as I did in the main receiver, right? I then would need to
> reconfigure the FW definitions for all the filters.
>
> Actually I don't really use the 2 meter module at all at my qth. I do have a
> second K3 that I have up for sale, so maybe I will install the 2 meter
> module and the FM filter in it instead. It doesn't have a second receiver so
> the installation would be much easier.  Hmmmmm.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: How difficult is it to install the FM filter ofr K3 with ...

Clay Autery
Mmmmm....   6 meters?  I just installed a 13 kHz filter tonight
specifically for 6m repeater ops.

As for filters being the same bandwidth and in the same filter slot #:

Elecraft K3s Owners Manual:

Page 25:  For diversity receive, matched filters should be used (pg. 40).
Page 40:  For diversity receive, we recommend using identical crystal
filter configurations for the two receivers. This will ensure that both
receivers have the same characteristics when strong QRM is present.
Page 82:  For crystal filter installation.
Page 85:  Rule #1: If you plan to use a particular filter for both
transmitting and receiving (main receiver), you’ll need to install it on
the RF board. You can optionally install a filter of the same or similar
bandwidth on the sub receiver for receive-only use. (This is recommended
since it will keep the receivers identical.)

While not mandatory, it would appear that matching filters between
receivers is HIGHLY recommended, especially if you ever plan to employ
diversity receive.

I actually am putting FM filters in slot #1 of both receivers, so I can
listen to 6m or 2m on either receiver...  Same, same 6 kHz on slot
#2...  so I can listen via AM on either receiver, especially when I am
listening to broadcast AM, etc.

If I was a CW guy primarily, I might consider giving one of them up for
a 3rd CW filter besides my 700 and 400 Hz filters in #4 and #5.

73,

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389