How is handkey plug wired for KX-1?

k7nhb
Most rigs that allow a hand key require it to be wired to a stereo plug
using the sleeve and tip only.
I use CWType software and that sends cw out a serial port to a simple
circuit with a switching transistor for on/off.
It works fine with other rigs.

However, when I plugged it into the KX-1, the 48 character index
wouldn't go down as it sent my message.
I could hear the CW from CWType so I know that was working. And if I
plug ina regular three wire paddle, and change the input from Hnd to
Pdn, the paddle works.

As CWType is sending, I can see the KX-1 LED's blink a little, but the
display stays on 48 characters.

I haven't found any words or wiring diagrams for a straight key; just
"... plug it in ..." so maybe if Hnd is selected as input, it expects
the ring connection to be shorted against the shaft; that is, a mono-plug.

And insights, advice as to why this software to serial port to switching
circuit to stereo plug with ring unused to KX-1 with input set to Hnd
wouldn't work.

Thank you and 73,
Paul, K7NHB

Re: How is handkey plug wired for KX-1?

Don Wilhelm-4
Paul,

Yes, to key the KX1 from a hand key or a properly working computer
keying circuit, you connect between the sleeve and the tip of the 1/8
inch stereo plug.  Note that a mono plug will not work, it must be stereo.

I cannot equate the "48 character display" to a KX1 problem.  That
sounds like a computer problem.

If you leave the KX1 set to HND and tap out CW on the dot paddle, does
your KX1 key properly?  If so, then it should also key with your keying
interface.

When you send from CWType, what do you hear with the KX1 sidetone?  That
should be what is being transmitted.

On 12/19/2011 9:23 AM, Paul wrote:

> Most rigs that allow a hand key require it to be wired to a stereo plug
> using the sleeve and tip only.
> I use CWType software and that sends cw out a serial port to a simple
> circuit with a switching transistor for on/off.
> It works fine with other rigs.
>
> However, when I plugged it into the KX-1, the 48 character index
> wouldn't go down as it sent my message.
> I could hear the CW from CWType so I know that was working. And if I
> plug ina regular three wire paddle, and change the input from Hnd to
> Pdn, the paddle works.
>
> As CWType is sending, I can see the KX-1 LED's blink a little, but the
> display stays on 48 characters.

Re: How is handkey plug wired for KX-1?

k7nhb
By "48 character display" I meant the 48 characters on the KX1's LED display that the KX1 counts down from as cw characters are recorded in one of the two memory buffers.

I see at the top of page 66 it says, " CW messages can only be recorded using the KX1's internal Keyer." That apparently implies you must use a paddle to record. You cannot use a straight key. I did plug in a paddle and change input to Hnd as suggested. The KX1 would sound out the cw on the dot side of the paddle but would not record.  The same with CWtype. the KX1 would sound out the CW from it too, but not record.

So you can send with a straight key but you cannot record with a straight key. How simple if they would have said that. It's too bad too - because if you have messages stored in another keyer, you can't transfer them by simply playing the message from the external keyer to the KX1 (I'm guessing the same is true of the K1) via the input = Hnd setting.

If someone knows for sure, please confirm that you cannot record messages to the KX1's memory with a straight key.

This came up because I was trying to put a message in by hand and knowing it was being recorded, I wanted it to be perfect in characters and timing. I kept making a mistake doing it with my paddle. I have more years with a straight key and programs like CWType and an old Datang cw keyboard - but apparently they won't help.

73,
Paul

Re: How is handkey plug wired for KX-1?

wayne burdick
Administrator
k7nhb wrote:

> I see at the top of page 66 it says, "CW messages can only be recorded
> using the KX1's internal Keyer." That apparently implies you must
> use a
> paddle to record. You cannot use a straight key....
>
> If someone knows for sure, please confirm that you cannot record
> messages to
> the KX1's memory with a straight key.

Hi Paul,

That is correct.

Decoding from Morse sent via the internal keyer was pretty easy, since
the KX1 itself determines the length of dots/dashes/spaces in that
case. We would like to have included message entry via a hand key or
external keyer, but we sorta used up all the code space ;)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: How is handkey plug wired for KX-1?

Paul,

Yes, you cannot record CW messages on any Elecraft product from a
straight key - you must use the paddles.

On 12/20/2011 12:01 AM, k7nhb wrote:
> By "48 character display" I meant the 48 characters on the KX1's LED display
> that the KX1 counts down from as cw characters are recorded in one of the
> two memory buffers.

Re: How is handkey plug wired for KX-1?

Phil Hystad-3
Wayne,

As an option, is it possible to store a "recorded" CW message via download from the KX3 utility program?  Not as flexible as the portable use of a keyer but it should be able to be an alternative.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Dec 19, 2011, at 9:09 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> k7nhb wrote:
>
>> I see at the top of page 66 it says, "CW messages can only be recorded
>> using the KX1's internal Keyer." That apparently implies you must
>> use a
>> paddle to record. You cannot use a straight key....
>>
>> If someone knows for sure, please confirm that you cannot record
>> messages to
>> the KX1's memory with a straight key.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> That is correct.
>
> Decoding from Morse sent via the internal keyer was pretty easy, since
> the KX1 itself determines the length of dots/dashes/spaces in that
> case. We would like to have included message entry via a hand key or
> external keyer, but we sorta used up all the code space ;)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: How is handkey plug wired for KX-1?

Don Wilhelm-4
The question is about the KX1 for which no KX1 Utility program is
available, so you must use the paddle to input the CW messages.   The K3
and KX3 will have added functionality from K3 (and KX3) Utility.

On 12/20/2011 12:21 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> As an option, is it possible to store a "recorded" CW message via download from the KX3 utility program?  Not as flexible as the portable use of a keyer but it should be able to be an alternative.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Dec 19, 2011, at 9:09 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>
>> k7nhb wrote:
>>
>>> I see at the top of page 66 it says, "CW messages can only be recorded
>>> using the KX1's internal Keyer." That apparently implies you must
>>> use a
>>> paddle to record. You cannot use a straight key....
>>>
>>> If someone knows for sure, please confirm that you cannot record
>>> messages to
>>> the KX1's memory with a straight key.
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> That is correct.
>>
>> Decoding from Morse sent via the internal keyer was pretty easy, since
>> the KX1 itself determines the length of dots/dashes/spaces in that
>> case. We would like to have included message entry via a hand key or
>> external keyer, but we sorta used up all the code space ;)
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: How is handkey plug wired for KX-1?

Phil Hystad-3
Sorry, I should have read more closely.  I thought this was KX3 question.

On Dec 19, 2011, at 9:35 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> The question is about the KX1 for which no KX1 Utility program is available, so you must use the paddle to input the CW messages.   The K3 and KX3 will have added functionality from K3 (and KX3) Utility.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 12/20/2011 12:21 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> Wayne,
>>
>> As an option, is it possible to store a "recorded" CW message via download from the KX3 utility program?  Not as flexible as the portable use of a keyer but it should be able to be an alternative.
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> That is correct.
>>>
>>> Decoding from Morse sent via the internal keyer was pretty easy, since
>>> the KX1 itself determines the length of dots/dashes/spaces in that
>>> case. We would like to have included message entry via a hand key or
>>> external keyer, but we sorta used up all the code space ;)
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]