How to stop hearing amplifier relays at start of transmission?

How to stop hearing amplifier relays at start of transmission?

Bugzilla from doc.evans@gmail.com
On SSB, whenever I go to transmit (I use the PTT line) I can hear the
distinct click of the amp relays at the start of my transmission. This is,
if nothing else, embarrassing.

I tried changing the TX DLY setting, but it seems that that setting only
goes up to 20 ms, which is insufficient to stop the click from being
audible. (Actually, it's not clear whether that setting even works in SSB
mode; I assume that it does.)

What setting can I use to increase the delay to something rather
longer than 1/50 of a second?

A quick calculation shows that anyone in a large-ish room and using an amp
with loud relays is likely to have this problem. So there must be a
solution, but what is it?

  Doc  N7DR

PS OT -- I thought I had posted this last week, but for some reason the
reflector is now rejecting e-mails that comply with RFC 2440 and 3156, so I
think it never appeared. webmaster@ (which is supposedly the address to
which to send questions about the reflector) has not responded to my
request for the rationale for this -- rather unusual -- decision.

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR