I AM LOOKING FOR OWNER MODS

WA2JJH
i  have heard there are many mods and add in circuits designed by K2  owners.
  I recently purchased a used K2. I am very happy with it.
I miss two features that were on my TS-850. twin slope PBT and manual  notch.

  I did notice the BFO adjustment. If one had accurate, repeatable,  and real
time adjustment, could one not get a passband tuning or IF shift  effect?

   I like all the empty space inside to add ones own creations. I  am looking
forward to what some have come up with.

  I have a serial number 03100+. I see K2 are up to 04700+, any great
difference?
I guess it is most prudent to get the PC interface. That is the way one
upgrades the K2, correct?

TNX MIKE WA2JJH

Re: I AM LOOKING FOR OWNER MODS

Brian Mury-3

http://www.qslnet.de/member/la3za/K2/mod.html

> I guess it is most prudent to get the PC interface. That is the way one
> upgrades the K2, correct?

No, that is how one uses a computer to control the K2. You cannot
upgrade the firmware with the PC interface - that requires getting a new
chip from Elecraft.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

RE: I AM LOOKING FOR OWNER MODS

Mike,

The major changes between your K2 (sn 3000+) and the current one is the PLL
Reference Temperature Stability upgrade and the Keying Waveshape change.  A
minor change is the addition of diodes D40 and D41 to handle strong
on-frequency signals.  The Keying Waveshape change requires updated
firmware.

If you want a 'sneak preview' of these changes, download the K2 manual
version F from the elecraft website (www.elecraft.com) and look at pages 20,
49, 52 and the first column of page 59.  Elecraft offers kits for all but
the D40 and D41 addition - I might add that the 'standard Elecraft' SSB
filter bandwidth has been changed from 2.1 kHz to 2.4 kHz (Elecraft offers
the capacitors to make this change).

If you want the most complete list of mods to the K2 (both owner and
Elecraft mods), take a look at Sverre Holm's list of mods
(http://www.qslnet.de/member/la3za/K2/mod.html).  The Elecraft website has
information on serial numbers for the break-in of the 'official' changes.

Discrete Passband Tuning is possible with the K2 filters - the information
has not appeared in the K2 manual for some time now, but if you are
interested, download the K2 Field Test Manual from Tom Hammond's website
(www.n0ss.net), and you will find the information there.

The K2 upgrades are hardware oriented, and the firmware is not field
updatable (the PIC chips are read only), you must purchase any desired
firmware upgrades from Elecraft.

Bill Coleman-2

On Feb 14, 2005, at 9:23 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> i  have heard there are many mods and add in circuits designed by K2
> owners.
>   I recently purchased a used K2. I am very happy with it.
> I miss two features that were on my TS-850. twin slope PBT and manual
> notch.

Get the KDSP2. It has an auto-notch that is superior to any manual
notch.

>   I did notice the BFO adjustment. If one had accurate, repeatable,
> and real
> time adjustment, could one not get a passband tuning or IF shift
> effect?

Seems like this might be possible with a firmware change and maybe
another knob -- but normally BFO changes can't be made without the
frequency counter cable on a test point. So, there would have to be a
sizable table of BFO settings for each frequency step in the PBT for
each mode / filter.

I think this sorta of change is probably out of the range of your
casual K2 builder. Wayne or Eric would be the one to pull this off.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901