I/O output level

F5LCI
On my KX3, the I/O output level seems a bit too low on some bands when I try to use JT65 HF.
14 MHz and lower is OK, but can't get a decent level on the upper bands.
Using iMic, switched on "mic".
Any comments ?
(of course I post this on the JT65 forum, too)

Re: I/O output level

F5LCI
OK, it is the IF...
But is there a software mean to re-assemble or compute this I/Q signal so it can be treated as audio ?

Re: I/O output level

Thomas Horsten
Most SDR software will demodulate most modes from an I/Q signal. Try maybe
SDR# (http://sdrsharp.com/) or PowerSDR.

73, Thomas M0TRN

On 15 September 2012 21:23, F5LCI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, it is the IF...
> But is there a software mean to re-assemble or compute this I/Q signal so
> it
> can be treated as audio ?

Re: I/O output level

F5LCI

Re: I/O output level

Thomas Horsten
It would be easier to just hook up the KX3 to the PC with the Phones jack
to Line In on the PC. Then the KX3 has already demodulated it for you. If
you use DATA mode then it will be a raw USB or LSB chunk ready for use in
your favourite digimode program.

If you still want to listen to the KX3, use a splitter and an external
speaker and/or headphones.

By the way, the KX3-PCKT cable kit from Elecraft has all the cables you'll
need for either of these options, and is very reasonably priced (DX
shipping is only $10 but you have to ask them to use USPS 1st Class).

73, Thomas M0TRN

On 15 September 2012 22:25, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the fast reply, OM.
>
> There are so many programs...
> I know SDR#, HDSDR ...Etc.
> I would like to use NaP3 (I've just written to the author)and get a
> demodulated signal through my OS (W7) for use with JT65 and Ftdi.
> Regards,
> FO/F5LCI BH91nv

Re: I/O output level

F5LCI
Yes, that is what I am using : audio cable and external speakers via the PC.
I already have an I/Q home made cable 2.5/3.5 to the iMic, with transformers.
The most difficult is the audio parameters setup, but I think they are good (no extra "enhancements" etc).
Thank you for your advice and 72
FO/F5LCI

Le Sat, 15 Sep 2012 21:41:12 -0000, Thomas Horsten [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> a écrit:

It would be easier to just hook up the KX3 to the PC with the Phones jack
to Line In on the PC. Then the KX3 has already demodulated it for you. If
you use DATA mode then it will be a raw USB or LSB chunk ready for use in
your favourite digimode program.

If you still want to listen to the KX3, use a splitter and an external
speaker and/or headphones.

By the way, the KX3-PCKT cable kit from Elecraft has all the cables you'll
need for either of these options, and is very reasonably priced (DX
shipping is only $10 but you have to ask them to use USPS 1st Class).

73, Thomas M0TRN

On 15 September 2012 22:25, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the fast reply, OM.
>
> There are so many programs...
> I know SDR#, HDSDR ...Etc.
> I would like to use NaP3 (I've just written to the author)and get a
> demodulated signal through my OS (W7) for use with JT65 and Ftdi.
> Regards,
> FO/F5LCI BH91nv

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/I-O-output-level-tp7562551p7562777.html
To unsubscribe from I/O output level, click here.
NAML

Re: I/O output level

F5LCI
In fact, I was expecting NaP3 to also decode an useable audio signal from the I/Q, as do other SDR programs.
But their integration with KX3 CAT commands is still a mystery for me.

72 de FO/F5LCI

Re: I/O output level

Don Wilhelm-4
NaP3 can indeed send audio to the soundcard output.  That is what the
SUB, MUTE, RX A and RX B buttons/sliders control.  See the NaP3
instructions at www.telepostinc.com.
Questions about NaP3 and LP Bridge are usually answered quickly by Larry
Phipps on the LP-Pan Yahoo Group.

On 9/16/2012 3:13 PM, F5LCI wrote:
> In fact, I was expecting NaP3 to also decode an useable audio signal from the
> I/Q, as do other SDR programs.
> But their integration with KX3 CAT commands is still a mystery for me.
>
> 72 de FO/F5LCI

Re: I/O output level

Tony Estep

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 16, 2012, at 2:13 PM, F5LCI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In fact, I was expecting NaP3 to also decode an useable audio signal ...
>

> --
It does. You just route it to somewhere that you can hear it, e.g. speaker, phones, or VAC.

Tony KT0NY

Re: I/O output level

F5LCI

OK, finally found how to.
But there is still some difference : I can't decode JT65 sigs this way,
although it works with the standard audio cable : any trick ???
Regards,
FO/F5LCI

Le Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:09:50 -0000, Tony <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 16, 2012, at 2:13 PM, F5LCI <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In fact, I was expecting NaP3 to also decode an useable audio signal ...
>>

>> --
> It does. You just route it to somewhere that you can hear it, e.g.
> speaker, phones, or VAC.
>
> Tony KT0NY

Re: I/O output level

F5LCI
Don,
Thanks again for your help.
I finally got the trick in the NaP3 setup :
I had a wrong option in "system output" till I saw there the help box "listen through".
No more need of the analog audio cable (and all it carries) ?
- Not exactly for the moment, as the audio throughput is still different from what I can hear with the KX3 loudspeaker.
Maybe I have to dig deeper....

72 de FO/F5LCI

Le Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:04:51 -0000, Don Wilhelm-4 [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> a écrit:

NaP3 can indeed send audio to the soundcard output.  That is what the
SUB, MUTE, RX A and RX B buttons/sliders control.  See the NaP3
instructions at www.telepostinc.com.
Questions about NaP3 and LP Bridge are usually answered quickly by Larry
Phipps on the LP-Pan Yahoo Group.

Re: I/O output level

Don Wilhelm-4
There will be some latency - so you have "double latency" - once through
the KX3 and again through the panadapter software.  That may or may not
be troublesome.  If so, the only cure is another soundcard and the cable
to the headphone jack (and mic jack)

You will likely want to use that 2nd sound card (one for the panadapter
the other for digital modes), because the KX3 has no provision for
transmit using the I/Q signals - to transmit, one needs to inject the
tones into the microphone jack, so just accept that fact and add the
path from the headphone jack to the soundcard as well.

The "listen through" is nice because it does provide a 2nd receiver
function for CW and SSB modes, and the frequency separation can be
greater than the KX3 dual watch limitations.

On 9/16/2012 5:25 PM, F5LCI wrote:

> Don,
> Thanks again for your help.
> I finally got the trick in the NaP3 setup :
> I had a wrong option in "system output" till I saw there the help box
> "listen through".
> No more need of the analog audio cable (and all it carries) ?
> - Not exactly for the moment, as the audio throughput is still different
>   from what I can hear with the KX3 loudspeaker.
> Maybe I have to dig deeper....
>
> 72 de FO/F5LCI

Re: I/O output level

F5LCI
Thanks Don, After trying to compare these two audio signals, I have arrived at this conclusion, valid for my setup (e.g. noise from the laptop screen (look at my page on QRZCQ): IMHO the I/Q derived audio by the PC can be of some utility, but the KX3 does it better. SDR receivers (I own a PMSDR) are pleasant, but the "IF" to audio stages are another story : KX3 rules... 72 de FO/F5LCI
Don Wilhelm-4 wrote
There will be some latency - so you have "double latency" - once through the KX3 and again through the panadapter software. That may or may not be troublesome. If so, the only cure is another soundcard and the cable to the headphone jack (and mic jack) You will likely want to use that 2nd sound card (one for the panadapter the other for digital modes), because the KX3 has no provision for transmit using the I/Q signals - to transmit, one needs to inject the tones into the microphone jack, so just accept that fact and add the path from the headphone jack to the soundcard as well. The "listen through" is nice because it does provide a 2nd receiver function for CW and SSB modes, and the frequency separation can be greater than the KX3 dual watch limitations. 73, Don W3FPR