I: XV144

otto

  _____

Da: Carlo Bianconi [mailto:[hidden email]]
Inviato: lunedì 19 luglio 2010 18.11
A: '[hidden email]'
Oggetto: I: XV144

  _____

Da: Carlo Bianconi [mailto:[hidden email]]
Inviato: lunedì 19 luglio 2010 12.15
A: '[hidden email]'
Oggetto: XV144

Hi folks,

I’ve just assembled  my first XV-144 and it works fine, but it lacks the
possibility of setting the local oscillator to an exact frequency.

This is not a problem with K2 or K3, both have the offset correction, but
from the moment that this transverter can be used also with any other rig,
this is an annoyng matter.

I think that this issue can limit the use of this nice piece from the OM’s

. Nobody likes to do cumbersome additions or subtractions to calculate the
exact frequency; the idea is to tune the rig at 28.300 and transmit at
144.300. Most of the Japanese rigs can’t correct internally the IF offset.

Usually, all transveters, German or Japanese made, have internal trimmer to
bring the O.L to the exact frequency.

By the way, this transveter was out of frequency of 11.5 KHz, too much also
for the K3, that has a +/- 10 KHz offset correction.

Twiddling and fiddling with the oscillator, I discovered that the type of
xtal employed is not sensitive to added capacitors, but is very sensitive to
an inductance placed in series with it.

The inductor I used comes to the junk box  and I don’t know the inductance.
But with this little coil I can adjust the xtal frequency to exactly 116.000
MHz.

In the pcb there is room for the inductor, so the mod is really easy to
implement.

I think that this few cents mod should be added to all XV144, so they can be
used with any non Elecraft rig.

73 de Carlo Bianconi  IK4ISQ