I wish I had my KPA-500 here-ZK2A

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
So, we're here in Niue, about to go to Norfolk Island, with 3 K3's, two
THP HL1.1KFX amps, one IC2KL with switching PS (noisy fans!!!!!!), two LDG
AT1000 autotuners and an MFJ manual tuner.  Packing this stuff takes a lot
of space.
Every other piece of equipment is larger than the K3 (and therefore the
KPA500).  And it's all messy to operate together.  The LDG user interface
is wierd.

Hey, can I request KPA500 #22 to match my K3???  Huh? Huh?

Compared to the K3, the THP amps are about 50% larger (volume), the LDG
tuners are actually close to the same volume (but lots of empty space),
the IC2KL is about the same (but the external PS is a bit more and
NOISY!!!!).
A K3/KPA500/KAT500?? stack would make this all SO much easier.

We've not done quite as well on 160 and 80 as we'd hoped, but RTTY has
been respectable, and we've even made a few 'phone contacts (not many).

Oh, we're using wire antennas, with Spiderbeam, Tmastco, and Jackite
telescoping fiberglass poles as supports.  This works pretty well,
although the fancy low-noise RX antenna for low bands didn't work that
well.

73, doug
N6TQS at home, ZK2A, VK9NN and DX0DX (don't tell ICOM I'm taqking my K3).

Re: I wish I had my KPA-500 here-ZK2A

Johnny Siu
Hello Doug,

To my knowledge, K3 is also used in one of the contest station in Azerbaijan.

I think K3 has some attractiveness to overseas users who do not readily have
local radio repair services.  I am the one still keeping K3 among my Icoms.  In
most of the circumstances, I can just ship back the damaged module to Elecraft
for repair.

 cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Doug Faunt <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2010/12/3 (五) 3:22:48 PM
主題: [Elecraft] I wish I had my KPA-500 here-ZK2A

[...]

Bob Naumann W5OV
Doug,

What trouble are you having with the THP amps?

73,

Bob W5OV

Re: I wish I had my KPA-500 here-ZK2A

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
The THP amps are doing pretty well.  One high-pass filter has failed, but
we just select the next higher band and go.

They're just not well integrated with the radio or tuners.  There's
apparently no provision for automatic bandswitching.  I can even make my
IC2KL do that if I'd make the time to do it.

The problem with the SPE amps is weight- they're 20 kilos, instead of 10
for each of our current amps and the projected KPA500 (IIRC).

>What trouble are you having with the THP amps?
>73,
>Bob W5OV

73, doug

Next stop VK9

Re: I wish I had my KPA-500 here-ZK2A

Igor Sokolov-2
> The problem with the SPE amps is weight- they're 20 kilos, instead of 10
> for each of our current amps and the projected KPA500 (IIRC).

SPE does not need LDG autotuner though. It also does not need band decoder
and antenna selector. Summing all that up does not make 20 kilos look that
bad .

73, Igor UA9CDC