IC Socket

Russ WD5RS
I am working on the KAF2 audio filter for my K2; at least I will be as soon as the missing voltage regulator makes it thru the Christmas mail. Naturally my junk boxes have 5V, 8V, 9V, 12V etc., but no 6V regulators! Hi Hi !

The  instructions state that the real time clock IC is static sensitive. Can I put this IC in an 8 pin header rather than soldering it to the board?

Russ
WD5RS
10-10# 37287
FISTS 9162
Grid EM12mc
K2 #6997

Re: IC Socket

Don Wilhelm-4
  Russ,

Why make the static sensitivity problem potentially worse - just solder
it onto the board taking reasonable anti-static measures when you do.
Once soldered onto the board, the IC is no longer static sensitive
because its input(s) are no longer floating.

Touch a grounded bare metal surface before removing the IC from the
anti-static foam and touch a ground on the board before putting the IC
into the holes.  The idea is to keep everything at the same potential.

You can take another step and work on an anti-static mat and wear an
anti-static wrist strap.  Another good thing to do is to spray Static
Guard on and under your work surface, your chair and your clothing -
wear no nylon (or other static creating) clothing - cotton is good.