IF out to kx3 as panadapter for K3

kc9ee.
If you run the transverter IF out to the kx3 from the k3 to use the kx3 as a panadapter, will that mute the kx3 receiver to protect it from the K3s rf output or would you still have to add a relay to isolate it?

Adding a K3 to the station this week as the main rig but got used to the panadapter I have running off the kx3.

Gary
kc9ee

Re: IF out to kx3 as panadapter for K3

Larry Lopez
The transverter IF out from the K3 is a transmit signal.
If you connected KX3 to the K3 transverter output
then the K3 would be transmitting into the KX3.
I wouldn't do that.

If you connected the KX3 to the K3 IF output
the KX3 would be transmitting into the K3 IF output.
I wouldn't do that.

You would probably need an attenuator
to reduce the strength of the K3 IF output
so that the KX3's front end didn't overload.

Enough attenuation might prevent
the K3 IF output from being damaged.
I still wouldn't do this.

Re: IF out to kx3 as panadapter for K3

Don Wilhelm-4
Larry is correct that the Transverter "OUT" is a transmit signal.
It is present when the transverter band has been set up in the menu, and
the frequency is determined by the menu settings.

I suspect the original poster was thinking of the "IF OUT" - which has
nothing to do with Transverters - it is simply the IF output if the K3,
and can be connected to any receiver or panadapter that can be tuned to
the 8.215 MHz IF of the K3.  The P3 is one example.