If you are a DXer, you need the KRX3!

Vic K2VCO
There is no substitute for a second receiver for getting through
pileups. For years I have been switching back and forth between VFOs (on
various rigs), trying to spot the guy the DX is working. This has gotten
harder and harder as the liddy practice of calling continuously
regardless of what the DX station is doing has become popular.

Since I got the KRX3, it's become much easier. This morning I worked one
of the VU4's on 40 meters through a thick and very unruly pileup -- on
the first call! I think the KRX3 made this possible.

VU4 is difficult from the West Coast, and it is a new one for me. My 40
meter antenna is a mere dipole at 40 feet, although I admit I was
running 800 watts. It was still a thrill!
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

RE: If you are a DXer, you need the KRX3!

Bruce McLaughlin-2
Congratulations on getting the VU4.  The use stations are not easy from the
Midwest either the polar path can be a killer!  I am awaiting return of my
K-3 from Elecraft after its second receiver is installed along with certain
other changes and additions I ordered.  I understand what you mean about the
value of the second receiver.  I have a second receiver in my FT 1000D and
my Orion II.  The second receiver in the FT 1000D is decent enough to be a
considerable help while attempting to position myself at the proper place in
the pileup.  Although the Orion is of some help, it's second receiver is not
of very high quality and difficult to use when there is a heavy pileup.
Even so, any second receiver is better than nothing at all.  Although some
radios, such as the ICOM Pro series, allow fast switching to listen to the
transmit frequency, I feel that is too little and too late for this purpose.

Bruce-W8FU

Re: If you are a DXer, you need the KRX3!

M0XDF
I have to agree with all that - I worked VP6DX back in February on 80m
at 07:27 UTC, 120W SSB from Bracknell England - 8976 miles, on a long
wire!
This was first call - small pileup and they came straight back to me -
what can I say, my best DX so far :-)
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from
him. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)