Gary Hvizdak
At 17:37 EDT on Mon 23 Jun 2008 David Ferrington (M0XDF) wrote ...

... "what would people suggest for flux when doing mods?"

... and at 19:46 EDT on Mon Jun 23 2008 Lyle Johnson (KK7P) replied ...

... "I sometimes use 'no clean' flux rather than rosin core."

--

Guys,

Per Elecraft's website < http://www.elecraft.com/repair.htm > "The use of
acid-core solder, water-soluble flux solder, or any corrosive or conductive
flux or solvent will void this warranty in its entirety."

Beyond that:

1) Leaded solder is preferable for hand rework as lead-free solder requires
a higher temperature and special tips.  (Your normal leaded solder tips will
not last long if used with lead-free solder.)

2) Mildly activated rosin core flux (RMA) is preferable.

3) "No clean" flux requires a higher activation temperature and if not fully
activated its residue can pose a fire hazard.

73,
Gary  KI4GGX

P.S.  For those of you whom I've not yet told, I passed Element #4 earlier
this month!  :>)

Re: In Reply to "what kind of solder and flux?"

M0XDF
Thanks, but one wonders just how much flux has to be left around to
cause a fire?

--
Always remember, half the people in the world are above average
intelligence!