Independent Bands (F/W Vers. 3.03)

Bud Semon N7CW
I can't figure out how to monitor 6M with the sub-receiver, using my PR6 and
6M antenna on Ant2 (which requires me to have the RX Ant on) and tune on 20M
with the main receiver.  I keep getting the message USE AUX.  Re-reading the
notes, it appears that I can't select this combination or am I missing
something?

And the Birdie Buster seems to work great!

73, Bud  N7CW

Re: Independent Bands (F/W Vers. 3.03)

w0mu
When you set up the 2nd receiver there was a choice to use the 2nd antenna
on the KAT or the Aux input and install the cable.  There is also a menu
choice you can make.  Set it to Ant2 not aux.

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin

Re: Independent Bands (F/W Vers. 3.03)

Bud Semon N7CW
Thanks for the response Mike.  Your suggestion allows me to select Ant2 for
the sub-receiver and Ant1 for the main receiver, but I still can't select
the RX Ant (where the 6M preamp is) for the sub-receiver - it just kicks me
out of the bset menu.

73, Bud

Re: Independent Bands (F/W Vers. 3.03)

Bud,

You are attempting to receive with the sub-rx on a frequency that is
higher than the main RX is tuned to.
The low pass filters are selected for the main TX/RX, and any signals at
the higher frequency will be attenuated if you are sharing the antenna
(or ATU) for the sub with the main.

The solution (and what the message is trying to tell you) is to use the
AUX RX input to the sub-RX.
If you plan operation as you are attempting, I suggest you re-wire your
SUB-RX antenna to use the BNC connector rather than the unselected
antenna from the KAT3.

Bud Semon N7CW wrote:

> I can't figure out how to monitor 6M with the sub-receiver, using my PR6 and
> 6M antenna on Ant2 (which requires me to have the RX Ant on) and tune on 20M
> with the main receiver.  I keep getting the message USE AUX.  Re-reading the
> notes, it appears that I can't select this combination or am I missing
> something?
>

> And the Birdie Buster seems to work great!
>

> 73, Bud  N7CW

Re: Independent Bands (F/W Vers. 3.03)

wayne burdick
RX ANT is common to both the main and sub receivers. To use it with the
sub receiver, first turn on RX ANT (outside of BSET). This selects RX
ANT for the main receiver. Then go into BSET and tap ANT until you see
MAIN -- that allows the sub receiver to share the MAIN antenna, in this
case RX ANT.

If you want to use RX ANT *only* with the sub receiver, while main is
using ANT 1 or 2, do this:

1. Connect your receive antenna to both RX ANT IN and the sub
receiver's AUX RF BNC jack (under ANT 2) using a 'Y' cable.

2. Select AUX for the sub receiver (BSET, tap ANT until you see AUX).

3. Make sure RX ANT is *not* selected in this case; it simply won't be
connected.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Mar 17, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Bud Semon N7CW wrote:

> Thanks for the response Mike.  Your suggestion allows me to select
> Ant2 for
> the sub-receiver and Ant1 for the main receiver, but I still can't
> select
> the RX Ant (where the 6M preamp is) for the sub-receiver - it just
> kicks me
> out of the bset menu.

Re: Independent Bands (F/W Vers. 3.03)

w0mu
Actually that would not work either.

The PR6 is turned on by using the RX Ant button while on 6m.

The only way I see to make this work is by having the main vfo on the 6m
Freq and the sub on the lower band.

I have the pr6 but have yet to hook it up.  I will be curious to see other
replies.

Mike W0MU

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin

Bud Semon N7CW wrote:

> I can't figure out how to monitor 6M with the sub-receiver, using my
> PR6 and 6M antenna on Ant2 (which requires me to have the RX Ant on)
> and tune on 20M with the main receiver.  I keep getting the message
> USE AUX.  Re-reading the notes, it appears that I can't select this
> combination or am I missing something?
>

> And the Birdie Buster seems to work great!
>

> 73, Bud  N7CW

Re: Independent Bands (F/W Vers. 3.03)

Bud Semon N7CW
Mike,

I think you are correct.  And the HF antenna needs to be connected to the
AUX input.  Seems to work that way, but it's too much trouble to work with.

Maybe Wayne can help out here....

73, Bud  N7CW