Information on K3/P3 Utility

k0wa@swbell.net

Just got my new P3 working on my K3.  Several years ago, there was an issue of
updating the K3 with the P3 connected.  Is that still true?  What is the
procedure for update either devices?  I have the latest P3 and K3 utilities
loaded and they talk to each device while all is connected for use.

Thank you

Lee - K0WA

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  John W. (Kansas)

Never interfere with anything that isn't bothering you.

Re: Information on K3/P3 Utility

John_N1JM
This post was updated on .
You can update with the P3 connected and/or on.

John N1JM

Re: Information on K3/P3 Utility

Bruce Beford-2
No problem updating either one now, Lee. You can leave them both connected
in the "daisy chain". Use the P3 Utility for updating the P3, and the K3
utility for updating the rig. (only run one of those programs at a time, of
course.) There is no longer any need to shut off either device when updating
the other.

73,
Bruce N1RX

> Just got my new P3 working on my K3.  Several years ago, there was an
> issue of updating the K3 with the P3 connected.  Is that still true?
> What is the procedure for update either devices?  I have the latest P3
> and K3 utilities loaded and they talk to each device while all is
> connected for use.

> Thank you

> Lee - K0WA

Re: Information on K3/P3 Utility

Dick Dievendorff
Early versions of P3 firmware required that the P3 be turned off for all K3
firmware installation. The K3 Utility determines the P3 firmware version,
and it displays a P3 firmware version dependent warning dialog if needed.

However if the K3's firmware load is interrupted, and the K3 powers up into
its boot loader (MCU LD on the LCD when you apply power), you'll need to
follow the instructions in K3 Utility Help, Troubleshooting, MCU Load
Failure.  In that circumstance, the P3 must start and stay off when the K3
is powered on until the K3 firmware is reloaded.

The problem is that P3 initialization issues K3 commands (from the K3
Programmer's Reference) that can't be interpreted by the K3's bootstrap
loader, and they put the bootstrap loader into a state that cannot be
recovered without power cycling the K3.  microHAM's router software does the
same thing.  This is why both microHAM and Elecraft recommend not loading
firmware through port sharing software that multiplexes the K3 serial port.
It works some of the time, but not all of the time.

The K3 requires firmware to behave as its programmer's reference describes.

73 de Dick, K6KR

K3 P3 on Xmit

W4GRJ
Is it possible to view your xmit signal on the P3?

Tnx, Jack
W4GRJ

Re: K3 P3 on Xmit

Bruce Beford-2
No, you can not monitor your xmit signal with the P3, at this time. There is
an unused cutout on the rear panel of the P3 labeled "sensor". many of us
hope this will be for an optional internal board and external sensor to
allow the P3 to operate as a station monitor on TX.

Some people have noted that if you disconnect the RS232 cable between the P3
and the K3, you can see a "signal" on the P3 during TX. This is due to IF
leakage into the P3, and is not a reliable indicator of your actual transmit
signal. You can see the effect of TX equalization settings on a transmitted
signal's bandwidth, but you are not looking at an accurate representation of
the actual RF output of the radio.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but that's the current state of affairs (as
I understand it).
73,
Bruce, N1RX

> Is it possible to view your xmit signal on the P3?

> Tnx, Jack
> W4GRJ

Re: K3 P3 on Xmit

W4GRJ
Best long-winded reply received in a long time.
Tnx,
Jack
W4GRJ

No, you can not monitor your xmit signal with the P3, at this time. There is
an unused cutout on the rear panel of the P3 labeled "sensor". many of us
hope this will be for an optional internal board and external sensor to
allow the P3 to operate as a station monitor on TX.

Some people have noted that if you disconnect the RS232 cable between the P3
and the K3, you can see a "signal" on the P3 during TX. This is due to IF
leakage into the P3, and is not a reliable indicator of your actual transmit
signal. You can see the effect of TX equalization settings on a transmitted
signal's bandwidth, but you are not looking at an accurate representation of
the actual RF output of the radio.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but that's the current state of affairs (as
I understand it).
73,
Bruce, N1RX

> Is it possible to view your xmit signal on the P3?

> Tnx, Jack
> W4GRJ

-----
No virus found in this message.