Initial Settings

Joe G
S/N 2120 is built !!

I am now in the process of setting up the controls for initial SSB tests.

For Xmit Waynes suggestions are great

For Rcv I could use some suggestions ie RF vs AF settings, NB, NR, etc

Thanks in advance
Joe
W1JGS

Re: Initial Settings

Dave, G4AON
Welcome to the wonderful world of the K3 Joe. I tend not to use reduced
RF gain, letting the AGC do the work for me. Just a few areas to watch:

AGC PLS = nor (otherwise light switches and similar electrical clicks
will punch a hole in your RX audio)
On SSB the normal centre frequency is 1.5 KHz, when you reduce the
bandwidth it's worth shifting the centre down a little.
The AFX delay feature can make signals sound very nice, try it on stereo
headphones. I have a couple of cheap HiFi bookshelf speakers on my K3
and the audio from a local medium wave broadcast station is excellent,
enhanced by the AFX effect too (6 KHz roofing filter and general
coverage board fitted). It's a waste of a K3 to listen to broadcast
stuff - but it sure sounds good.
Try altering the AGC as it makes a big difference to how signals sound,
too much and all signals sound to be the same strength, too little and
you have to keep adjusting the AF pot.

I don't need NB here, so can't comment. Noise reduction doesn't do
anything for me, no matter what I adjust it detracts from the signals.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80 (Nov 2007 vintage)
===============================

S/N 2120 is built !!

I am now in the process of setting up the controls for initial SSB tests.

For Xmit Waynes suggestions are great

For Rcv I could use some suggestions ie RF vs AF settings, NB, NR, etc

Thanks in advance

-----
Joe
W1JGS

Re: Initial Settings

W6ODJ
Dave,

Ah, my god, are you lucky if you don't need NB.  I live in the center
of San Francisco, CA, and every tom dick and harry and every
restaurant pizza oven and every cell phone tower (one block away) and
every neighbor's numerous wall warts are spewing out RFI.  S-meter
readings mean nothing.  It is S units (if any) above the man-made
noise that matter.  When I finish my current project, a balanced
antenna tuner, then I will assemble my new K3 and we'll start on the
NB and NR and AGC and AFX merry-go-round.  The K2 noise reduction is
almost useless against all this stuff, so I hope the K3 does better.

--73 Oliver W6ODJ

On 22 Nov 2008, at 6:03 AM, Dave G4AON wrote:

> I don't need NB here, so can't comment. Noise reduction doesn't do
> anything for me, no matter what I adjust it detracts from the signals.
>
> 73 Dave, G4AON
> K3/100 #80 (Nov 2007 vintage)

Re: Initial Settings

David Woolley (E.L)
O. Johns wrote:

> Ah, my god, are you lucky if you don't need NB.  I live in the center of
> San Francisco, CA, and every tom dick and harry and every restaurant
> pizza oven and every cell phone tower (one block away) and every
> neighbor's numerous wall warts are spewing out RFI.  S-meter readings

In general, those sources require noise reduction, not noise blanking.
The K3 has both, but note that noise reduction is a difficult problem,
and there are severe limits on what can ever be achieved.

> mean nothing.  It is S units (if any) above the man-made noise that
> matter.  When I finish my current project, a balanced antenna tuner,
> then I will assemble my new K3 and we'll start on the NB and NR and AGC
> and AFX merry-go-round.  The K2 noise reduction is almost useless
> against all this stuff, so I hope the K3 does better.

Unless you have one of the audio filters, you do not have noise
reduction, on the K2, only noise blanking.

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to