Insulated Backstay

Mike McCoy
I'm this >||< close to buying a cruising sailboat (a Westsail 32) and can't
seem to find any info/detail on the recommended length for an HF (insulated)
backstay antenna.

I thought I'd rememberd this topic being discussed in the maillist before
but I've searched the archives and nothing pops up.

Since I know nothing about them I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
experience/advice/tips/suggestions/pointers/websites concerning insulated
backstay antennas?

Thanks,
Mike K5PU

RE: Insulated Backstay

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
If you've got a ground to the seawater, end-feeding anything up to about 5/8
wavelengths at the operating frequency works FB. Assuming you have an
aluminum mast, you'll have significant directivity on the higher bands where
the mast will act as a reflector.

It'll work where the antenna is longer than 5/8 wave, but you'll start
getting significant high-angle radiation.

You can also string a simple center-fed half-wave antenna if you want and
have the height. Run the feeder over to the mast and anchor it there if you
can avoid interfering with the sail operations. Then run it down the mast to
the rig.

My experience is with larger vessels. From what I hear about recreational
sailboats is that you'd better have everything you need, right down to the
coax connectors and insulators on hand before you buy the sailboat. That's
because sailboats have a reputation of absorbing every dime in your bank
account right down to the minimum needed for franks and beans to eat three
times a day...and some sailboat owners I've met don't even eat beans
regularly <G>.

Ron AC7AC

I'm this >||< close to buying a cruising sailboat (a Westsail 32) and can't
seem to find any info/detail on the recommended length for an HF (insulated)
backstay antenna.

I thought I'd rememberd this topic being discussed in the maillist before
but I've searched the archives and nothing pops up.

Since I know nothing about them I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
experience/advice/tips/suggestions/pointers/websites concerning insulated
backstay antennas?

Thanks,
Mike K5PU

Re: Insulated Backstay

brianboschma
Mike,

As past comm officer and board member of the Pacific Cup Y.C. I have had
occasion to rig  about 10 offshore race boats for SSB ops (follow the
action in this years race at SF_to_Hawii_race_underway
<http://www.pacificcup.org/> ) . They have ranged in size from 24 ft to
50 ft. The typical number you see for a backstay or other vertical on a
small vessel is 21' to 23'. This is chosen to avoid 1/2 wave resonance
on marine ssb frequencies (located typically just above and below the
ham bands). This number is recommended by many auto tuners so that the
feed point impedance doesn't approach several thousand ohms (a 1/2 wave
at resonance) leading to several hundreds of volts at the feed point
(assuming a 100+ watt rig) and possible breakdown within the tuner.
Refer to the SGC 230 manual and I believe the ICOM manuals as well.

Having used the above dimensions on many occasions my experience has
been that they work well on the marine frequencies as well as amatuer
frequencies  from 80 MHz (4Mhz SSB) up to 28 MHz. Of course that
wonderful ground plane is a huge help in making contacts from the deck
of  a little boat all over the planet. The other side of the equation is
getting a real good ground connection. There is literature as well about
technques that can be used that don't involve drilling through and
adding extra weight or drag  to the hull via an extenal bronze plate.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

brian n6iz