Interface question.

K2GN
I'm in the process of redesigning my station, inside and out.

I'm going to need a tuner between the Antennas and the AMP.

So, as good as the ATU in the K3 is, it won't help me.

I'm looking at the MFJ-998 Auto tuner.

There's no mention of Elecraft in the Manual for it, but I sure someone has
this combo in use.

To get to the point, anyone know if the Kenwood cable for the MFJ-998 works
with the K3?

Or what modification must be made to make it work?

Wish the ATU-500 was coming soon.

de K2GN - Larry

Re: Interface question.

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
I have an MFJ-998. I wish I'd known better when I bought it - I
wouldn't buy another (for various reasons). I never found a good way
to integrate it with the K3... so the tune-up procedure involves using
the K3's "TUNE" function to produce a low-power signal (CONFIG:TUNE
PWR) and then invoking the "TUNE" function on the MFJ (it's configured
in "Semi-Automatic" mode). When the MFJ finds a match (or doesn't), I
tap "XMIT" on the K3 to end the "TUNE". There is a fully-automatic
mode, where the MFJ will initiate tuning when it detects SWR above a
configured threshold, but I had bad experiences with that in the past.

If the K3 had a way to feed a signal into the ACC connector to trigger
the TUNE function, the MFJ could utilise that. The suggestion has been
made a few times, but it's probably not a high enough priority on
"Wayne's list".

Aside from the KAT-500, it appears (from their website) that PalStar
are working on a new remote-able autotuner rated for 2500W. I'm sure
it'll cost a lot more than the MFJ, but... you know what they say ;)

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM, K2GN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in the process of redesigning my station, inside and out.
>
> I'm going to need a tuner between the Antennas and the AMP.
>
> So, as good as the ATU in the K3 is, it won't help me.
>
> I'm looking at the MFJ-998 Auto tuner.
>
> There's no mention of Elecraft in the Manual for it, but I sure someone has
> this combo in use.
>
> To get to the point, anyone know if the Kenwood cable for the MFJ-998 works
> with the K3?
>
> Or what modification must be made to make it work?
>
> Wish the ATU-500 was coming soon.
>
> de K2GN - Larry

Re: Interface question.

Cookie
I have had similar experience with a MFJ-927.  I spent a lot of email time and
phone time with MFJ and finally came to the conclusion that they had hired a
programmer that was not a ham and had a poor grasp of the normal requirements
for hams and transceivers and thought that an SWR of 2.5 or 3.0 to 1 was
perfectly all right.  This does not meet their spec, but all they were willing
to do for me was send me another unit with the same algorithm.  After the third
one, I tired of the experience and bought a TS-480 which I should have done in
the first place.  Why not another K3?  No mobile mount and no split architecture
and the TS-440 that I was using was just too big for the mobile.  The MFJ-927
seemed to be OK if I manually initiated the tuning, but that was pretty awkward.
 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

________________________________
I have an MFJ-998. I wish I'd known better when I bought it - I
wouldn't buy another (for various reasons). I never found a good way
to integrate it with the K3... so the tune-up procedure involves using
the K3's "TUNE" function to produce a low-power signal (CONFIG:TUNE
PWR) and then invoking the "TUNE" function on the MFJ (it's configured
in "Semi-Automatic" mode). When the MFJ finds a match (or doesn't), I
tap "XMIT" on the K3 to end the "TUNE". There is a fully-automatic
mode, where the MFJ will initiate tuning when it detects SWR above a
configured threshold, but I had bad experiences with that in the past.

If the K3 had a way to feed a signal into the ACC connector to trigger
the TUNE function, the MFJ could utilise that. The suggestion has been
made a few times, but it's probably not a high enough priority on
"Wayne's list".

Aside from the KAT-500, it appears (from their website) that PalStar
are working on a new remote-able autotuner rated for 2500W. I'm sure
it'll cost a lot more than the MFJ, but... you know what they say ;)

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM, K2GN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in the process of redesigning my station, inside and out.
>
> I'm going to need a tuner between the Antennas and the AMP.
>
> So, as good as the ATU in the K3 is, it won't help me.
>
> I'm looking at the MFJ-998 Auto tuner.
>
> There's no mention of Elecraft in the Manual for it, but I sure someone has
> this combo in use.
>
> To get to the point, anyone know if the Kenwood cable for the MFJ-998 works
> with the K3?
>
> Or what modification must be made to make it work?
>
> Wish the ATU-500 was coming soon.
>
> de K2GN - Larry

Re: Interface question.

Phil Salas
As you've stated, so far the K3 doesn't have an external TUNE-KEY input.
This will have to be provided when the KAT500 is available - probably the
AUXBUS interface.  I have used a MFJ-998 with my K3 and ALS-600 for a couple
of years now - and now a KPA500.  I leave the MFJ-998 in the full-auto mode
and use the K3 TUNE function (TUNE power set for 15 watts) when I need the
tuner.  No problems at all.  The MFJ-998 interrupts the amp-key line before
it tunes.  I've recently modified my MFJ-998 so it uses the amp-disable
feature of the KPA500 (info on my website) which is a much better way of
taking the KPA500 off-line prior to tuning.

I WILL go with the KAT500 when it is available though.  I'm sure it will
integrate superbly with the K3 - just like the KPA500 does.

Phil - AD5X

[...]

John K3TN
I have the same combination: K3, ALS-600, MFJ-998. I also have a TS-850 interfaced in, and the 850 interface to the 998 is much better: push the tune button on the 850, 850 goes to tune level, 998 goes to tune mode, click/whir, done. As you say, with the K3 have to use the 998 auto-tune mode, which doesn't always want to tune, so I often have to also hit the manual TUNE button on the 998, especially on bands like 10m where the tuner and the antenna are more finicky.

So, I'll add my request for the K3 ACC TUNE signal in an attempt to move it up the list.

73, John K3TN

Phil & Debbie Salas wrote
[...]

Gary Gregory
Well seeing as you want the tune thru accessory connector, how about adding
me to that list too.

I have a Barrett auto-tune antenna which are very common here in VK. These
work a treat and the K3 would need to have the tune function reset after the
auto-tune antenna finds a match.

Although these are rated only for 125W, they are a great antenna and
extremely reliable. I have the specs and circuit diagrams available also.

I would than have the ability to use the K3 when mobile in the motor
home...:-)

Gary

*VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment